Whatever you are studying, writing will be an important part of your work, whether it’s for formal assignments or to develop your ideas and thinking. Knowing how to structure and organise your ideas and then express them as clearly and coherently as possible are therefore essential skills. They will also be valuable for your career after university.
We have developed a range of resources to help you study in the way that is most suitable and effective for you including our study guides in the right hand menu.
5 QUESTIONS for planning your writing:
- What am I being asked to do?
- What is my answer?
- What are the different ‘bits’ of my answer?
- How could I organise these ‘bits’?
- How does all this help me do what I’m being asked to do?
Listen to Learning Enhancement Tutors talk about planning your writing.
5 QUESTIONS for editing your work:
- What is the main message I want to communicate?
- What is the main point of each paragraph?
- How does each point fit into my overall answer?
- Have I linked my paragraphs together?
- Have I addressed all the elements of the task?