Examiners may find the following documents useful, as well as the PGR Examinations – FAQ.
Further queries can be addressed to the relevant Postgraduate Research Service team.
**19 MARCH 2020: UPDATED GUIDANCE ON VIVAS VIA VIDEOCONFERENCING**
With effect from 19 March 2020 Alastair Grant, the University's Academic Director of UEA Doctoral College, has approved a streamlined online viva approval process. Please see our "Research Programmes Concessions" page for further details at: https://portal.uea.ac.uk/postgraduate-research/concessions/research-programme-concession.
** 21 MARCH 2020: UPDATED GUIDANCE ON RIGHT TO WORK CHECKS FOR VIVAS CONDUCTED VIA VIDEOCONFERENCE / SKYPE**
This is the latest guidance from the University's HR department. It assumes that the person being checked is in the UK. If they are not, no check is required.
A scan (or photograph) of the documents should be sent to the relevant PGR Service Team as usual pre-viva. If these show a complex situation where the right to work isn't clear, the PGR Service should contact HR for advice as usual.
Someone on the video call at the viva can confirm that the person on the call matches the picture in the passport/document.
This is all that's needed. We don't need to courier documents or do a separate video call check with the person.
Research Degree Policy Documents [UPDATED OCTOBER 2019]
- Section 8 - Code of Practice for the Examination of Research Degree Awards at UEA
- Section 9 - The Role of the Independent Chair
Viva related regulations and guidance
- Instructions to Examiners for Research Degrees at the University of East Anglia [updated September 2019]
- Guidance on the use of videoconferencing or Skype (or equivalent) for an oral examination [updated February 2020]
Examiner Report Forms: Pre-Viva
- All Awards - Examiner's Preliminary Report Form (MsWord) [updated January 2020]
Examiner Report Forms: Post-Viva
- PhD - Examiners' Final Report Form (MsWord) * [updated January 2020]
- Independent Chair's Report Form (MsWord) [updated January 2020]
* Separate Examiners' Final Report Forms are available for other research degrees and for PhDs in Professional Practice and Creative Writing [updated January 2020]. Please contact the PGR Service for copies of these.
- PGR Thesis Resubmission Guidance Note for Internal Examiners, Independent Chairs and Supervisors [updated February 2020]