The Hill Papers are the personal and other papers of John Edward Bernard Hill (1912-2007). John Hill owned Blyford Estate, a substantial agricultural holding in the Blyth Valley in Suffolk, and formerly served as MP for South Norfolk (1955-1974) and MEP for the constituency (1974). He was a local councillor in Suffolk, a member of the East Suffolk and Norfolk River Board (1952-1962), and a member of the Council of the University of East Anglia. Mr Hill's other activities reflected in the papers include membership of the Executive Committee of the Country Landowners' Association (1977-1982), and of the Governing Body of Charterhouse School (1958-1990). Mr Hill was an Old Carthusian, and from Charterhouse he went to Merton College, Oxford, then read for the Bar.
The collection includes Mr Hill's political papers, the records of the Blyford Estate from its creation in 1944, extensive contemporary records of overseas travels (1931-1977) and the transcript of a detailed contemporary journal of his military service in World War II. After early service with a territorial unit of the Royal Artillery, Mr Hill became one of the first Air Observation Post pilots. In this role he saw service in North Africa until a severe shell-wound in 1942 eventually resulted in his being invalided out of the Army in the following year.
A particular feature of the Hill Papers is the large quantity of photographic and film material. The latter is managed in conjunction with the East Anglian Film Archive.
Listing of this collection [, 1.3MB]
The Hill Papers are catalogued to file level within the Archives Union of the Library Catalogue.