Main Menu

Help for students with Disabilities

Help for students with disabilities Help for students with disabilities

Who we help

Our services are available to all students with a disability recognised in the Equality Act 2010.

That could be anything that affects activities like reading, writing, attending lectures, taking exams, making notes, working in groups and giving presentations. For example:

  • A physical or sensory disability, either long-term or short-term
  • A temporary disability, like a broken hand.
  • Specific learning difficulty SPlD, for example, dyslexia, ADHD, dyscalculia and dyspraxia
  • An autistic spectrum disorder

We can also help if you have a condition like this that has not yet been diagnosed.


How we help

When you first arrive             

Help with university life

We can help you find your way around campus, register as a student and get the most from Welcome Week.                       

We’ll help you to plan for your time at UEA, ensuring study, daily life and accommodation are accessible

Study support

Adjustments to your course and exams

We can explain what support is available to help you study, including study skills, tuition and access to technology solutions.                                    

You may qualify for 'reasonable adjustments' to your course, or assessment arrangements when you take exams, to ensure your course and assessments are accessible to you and adapted to your needs.

Assessment for learning difficulties

Support to access local services

We can assess whether you have specific learning difficulties ('SpLD') such as dyslexia, ADHD or dyspraxia, or an autism spectrum condition. Learn more here.

We’ll help you access local specialist services and liaise with services from your local area as well. We can help your UEA faculty or school to understand your condition and how it affects your studies.

One-to-one help

Support to apply for DSA

You may be able to access one-to-one confidential support or advice from a mental health or disability advisor.

DSA could give you access to specialist support and equipment. We can help you apply for the government's Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).


To learn more about any of these services or request support, contact Student Services on 01603 592761 or

We may need you to provide evidence of your disability to access some of the services but an advisor will discuss this with you.

More resources

Before You Arrive



Whilst You are Here



Assessment & Support for SpLD