Planning ahead Planning ahead

Things you need to think about before coming to University:

  • Accommodation
  • Student Finance
  • Living independently (if applicable) e.g. preparing meals, going to the shops, doing your laundry
  • Socialising
  • Transport
  • DSA

You may find helpful information on the National Autistic Society website to help you prepare.

What about accommodation?

  • The University offers accommodation with en suite facilities – students who request it may be provided with a room throughout the course of their studies.
  • The Student Support Service can arrange pre-registration visits to allocated accommodation
  • Earlier arrival at the start of the year can be arranged if this is helpful

Where does the funding come from?

  • UK eligible students' funding is available via the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). 
  • Non-eligible students (including International and EU) are provided with services via the University

What evidence is required?

  • A diagnostic report by a psychologist or psychiatrist
  • If this report is some years old, an accompanying letter from your GP which confirms the persistence of effects which will impact on study and University life will be required by Student Finance England/NHS Bursaries
  • This evidence is also required by the University to support requests for examination concessions.
  • If you do not have any evidence please contact and we will advise further

Who to contact

To speak to a Wellbeing Adviser or book an appointment, please contact the Student Support Service by calling 01603 592 761 or email