Sexual Violence: Deciding what to do next Sexual Violence: Deciding what to do next

The choices you have about where to go and what to do next can vary depending on where and when the incident occurred.  However, you can seek support from a number of sources at any time after the incident, even years later; support is not limited to those who make an immediate report.  Any decisions will be yours and you will be respected and supported in your decision.  You will not be judged and you will not be blamed.

Finding support and guidance within the University

Student Support Service

If you are unsure what steps you want to take, Student Support Advisers are experienced in providing an immediate response to critical incidents and dealing with sensitive problems confidentially, including sexual violence:

State to the person on reception that you urgently need to discuss a highly confidential matter.  You will then meet with an experienced person as soon as possible, in a confidential room.  You can discuss what has happened, going into only as much detail as you feel comfortable, and you will be advised on what you may wish to do next, and what support is available to help you.  Phone 01603 592761.

Warden Team in UEA Accommodation

The Warden Team work for the Student Support Service and are available on-call between 6pm and 7am 365 days a year.  They are trained to provide an immediate response to critical incidents out-of-hours, and will pass incidents on to the Student Support Service in the morning.  They provide emotional support, can advise you on what steps you might wish to take next and what help and support is available from the University.  Contact Details

UEA Security

Security Officers in The Lodge are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  They are able to provide an immediate response to critical incidents.  They can advise you on what steps you might wish to take next.  Phone 01603 592352 or 01603 592222.

University Medical Centre

The UEA Medical Centre is open every weekday from 8.30am until at least 6.30pm.  Phone Number: 01603 251600

Finding support and guidance outside the University

The Harbour Centre

Norfolk's Sexual Assault Referral Centre, The Harbour Centre is for any person who is a victim of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault, either recently or in the past.  They provide medical, practical and emotional support without police involvement.  They can provide you with: sexual health information and referral services; information about reporting to the police and judicial processes; forensic medical facilities; post-sexual assault follow-up care; support through the criminal justice system; practical support and referrals to other community services and consultation services to other professionals.  Any person can access support from the Harbour Centre directly without speaking to the police, but an appointment is required.  Phone 0845 456 4810, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Reporting an Incident to the Police Reporting an Incident to the Police

You can report an incident to the police at any time.  In an emergency, or if the incident happened recently, dial 999.  Alternatively, call the non-emergency number 101.

If you do not want to meet with the police in your house or accommodation it may be possible to meet with the police in a confidential room in the Student Support Centre, or in The Lodge, or in your Senior Resident's flat, if you have already made contact with one of these services.

In an emergency, a police officer will come and see you as soon as possible to check your welfare, to find out if you need medical assistance, and to undertake other steps appropriate to the emergency situation.  It is likely that a specially trained officer called a SOLO (Sexual Offence Liaison Officer) will then be contacted and will come out to see you.  If the incident happened recently, the SOLO will usually be able to take mouth and urine samples immediately so that forensic evidence can be preserved and enable you to eat, drink and go to the toilet without fear of losing such evidence.  In non-emergency situations, the SOLO is likely to be the first police officer to attend to you.

A statement will be taken from you and you may be taken to The Harbour Centre which is a specialist Sexual Assault Referral Centre.  It is recommended you take a friend with you for support.  At The Harbour Centre you will be looked after by a Crisis Worker who will provide you with  emotional support during your time there, ensuring you fully understand all of the options available to you.  A forensic medical doctor will collect forensic evidence from you.  You will be able to access emergency contraception and they can refer you to the nearest sexual health clinic.  You will be offered a referral for on-going support from an Independent Sexual Violence Adviser if further action is taken.

After you have made your report, the specially trained SOLO will be assigned to your case and will act as your main point of contact during the investigation.

Delaying your Report to the Police Delaying your Report to the Police

You may be unsure about reporting the incident to the police, but would like to be able to retain forensic evidence for a future decision.  You are able to refer yourself directly to The Harbour Centre (Norfolk's Sexual Assault Referral Centre), where they will offer the same services described above.  You can only use the services at The Harbour Centre if you have an appointment.  To make an appointment, phone 0845 456 4810, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

It would be useful to take photographs of the scene of the incident and to keep any relevant clothes, bedding, used condom, text messages or emails etc.  These will be helpful should you choose to go to the police at a later date.

If you make contact with The Harbour Centre, they will not pressure you into contacting the police.  They are there to provide support and to discuss all of the options available to you.  They will respect any decision you make.  If you choose to report to the police they will explain how to go through the process.  You can also pass on information about the incident to the police anonymously.

Not Reporting to the Police Not Reporting to the Police

If you are sure that you do not wish to report the incident to the police, you are still able to access the services at The Harbour Centre, and you can choose not to provide forensic evidence.  You can still receive specialist medical support and be referred for ongoing support.

If you have any injuries, you can get 24 hour treatment from the Accident and Emergency department at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

If you are concerned about the risk of pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections, you can go to the University Medical Centre if you are registered there, or visit your own GP, or go to the iCaSH Sexual Health Clinic at 1a Oak Street, Norwich, NR3 3AE.

Reporting an Incident to the University Reporting an Incident to the University

The University encourages students who have been subject to Sexual Violence to report the matter to the University so that appropriate support, advice and other measures can be taken.

It is especially important to inform the University if the assailant is another member of the University, whether student or staff.

You can make a report to the Student Support Service staff named above. If the assailant is another member of the University, we will discuss and agree next steps with you. This will be taken with a view to safeguarding your safety and wellbeing and managing any risks to you and the University community. The University will be mindful not to undertake any steps that could jeopardise a police investigation or endanger a successful prosecution should the incident be reported and/or brought to trial.

On-going Support On-going Support