The purpose of this web page is to help keep you and your money safe at the cashpoint.
- Beware shoulder surfers who look over your shoulder at cash machines to steal your PIN.
- Try to use cash machines in daylight and use machines inside banks if possible.
- Shield the key pad from view, even if you think there's no one around.
- Don't allow yourself to be distracted.
- If someone crowds or watches you, cancel the transaction and move on.
- Put the cash and your card away quickly and safely before moving away from the machine.
- Never use a cash machine that appears to have been tampered with in any way.
- Avoid using machines which charge for withdrawing cash. These are usually found in petrol stations, shops and some post offices. Banks and building societies don't charge for withdrawals.
Further information and advice
The advice in this leaflet is taken from the Student Survival Guide published by the Home Office. This provides advice to students on how to keep themselves and their possessions safe. If you have any concerns about safety or security on campus, UEA Security staff will be pleased to advise you. Security can be contacted in The Lodge or by calling 01603 592352.