Student Services Residents Student Services Residents

Student Services Residents (SSRs) work closely with colleagues in Student Services to deliver high-quality advice, guidance and support to students living in residences and to facilitate the development of an inclusive and well-integrated residential community. SSRs promote the wellbeing, resilience and good order of students in residences by striving to create a positive living environment with opportunities for social and personal development. SSRs are experienced students; they all have life experience and most already have a first undergraduate degree. They live in individual flats or houses on campus.

On campus and in the Village the SSRs work in teams of five or six and together have oversight of an area of the residents. The areas are:

  • Britten, Browne, Kett, Paston and Victory Houses
  • Colman House, Nelson Court and Orwell and Wolfson Closes
  • Hickling and Barton Houses and Crome Court
  • Nofolk, Suffolk and Constable Terraces
  • The Village

Within their area each SSR has what we call a 'parish' - a collection of flats, or perhaps a building or block, for which they have particular oversight.

What do Student Services Residents do? What do Student Services Residents do?

SSRs are a good source of information and advice, they should be your first point of contact for matters related to life in residences (however, matters of safety and security should be reported to Security, and maintenance jobs should be reported to Estates

When you contact a SSR you can expect that they will: 

  • Listen. Sometimes that is all that is necessary.

  • Advise. They will point you in the right direction, and/or give practical advice on where to go now, or what to do next.

  • Respond. They will actively deal with problems where they can.

  • Keep their cool. SSRs will know what to do when things have gone wrong.

All SSRs have received comprehensive training from Student Services and are qualified Higher Education Mental Health First Aid Champions. You can contact your SSR for a whole range of reasons, for example:

  • You are lonely, homesick or finding it difficult to settle in

  • You are worried about your studies or how the university works

  • You are feeling down and don't know what to do

  • You are concerned about someone in your flat and don't know what to do or how to help

  • You are worried that you drink too much

  • There are problems with sharing the kitchen or bathroom

  • You are being disrupted by your flatmate

  • The behaviour of other people towards you is upsetting you

  • Something has happened and you don't know what to do

The SSRs also organise social and sporting activities for the students in their areas.

SSrs and maintaining ‘Good Order' SSrs and maintaining ‘Good Order'

SSRs are expected to use their influence and persuasion to promote good order. If you are having a problem with a noisy neighbour, or your kitchen always looks like a battlefield, then you should contact your SSR. Your complaint will be taken seriously and the SSR will do their best to try to resolve the problem. Students will sometimes respond better to a request from an SSR than from another student.

It is part of the SSR's job to report problems to the Residential Life Manager in Student Services. Sometimes a student's behaviour has an adverse effect on another student, or the residential community as a whole. The Residential Life Manager has the option of referring individual students to the University Disciplinary Officer, who can fine offenders if they find the student's behaviour has breached the standards of behaviour expected in the University Regulations or Accommodation Licence. In the most extreme cases, a student could be thrown out of residences for persistent offences. Most students referred to the Disciplinary Officer don't cause trouble again.

If you have an immediate worry or concern you should call the Duty SSR for your area. The Duty SSR is available from 6pm to 7am weekdays, and over the entire weekend. 

How can I contact my SSR? How can I contact my SSR?

You can find contact details for the SSRs in the SSR Contact Details page or on the poster in the kitchen of your residence.