Knowing when and how to include academic references is a crucial skill. Effective referencing gives your work credibility; lack of references or poor referencing technique can risk plagiarism, leading to poor marks and even failing assignments. There are a number of different referencing systems in use at UEA, so it is important to understand which you are expected to use and how it works.
Here are a number of resources that can help you understand and follow the important academic conventions, including referencing and avoiding plagiarism.
- Cite them right online - This site will help you to reference just about any source, and understand how to avoid plagiarism.
- Take a look at the UEA video at the top of this page for an introduction to the issues.
- Read more about why plagiarism occurs and the skills you'll need to develop to avoid it in our Plagiarism Awareness Overview.
- Our study guides in the right hand menu can help you develop the skills needed to avoid plagiarism.
- You will also find interactive materials on our Blackboard site. To access these resources go to the Academic tab of the UEA Portal and look for the module ‘DOS-LET: Learning Enhancement Team'.
- Find answers to common questions about plagiarism and referencing in our FAQs.
- Find definitions of commonly used terminology related to plagiarism and referencing in our Glossary.
For more in-depth discussion of issues relating to plagiarism and referencing students can speak to one of our tutors. We also run a programme of Academic Skills Workshops that is open to all students registered on UEA courses.
5 QUESTIONS for referencing your work.
- Do I need a reference?
- Would it be better to paraphrase this information or quote it directly?
- What information about my source do I need to include?
- Have I checked my School's referencing guidelines?
- Have I followed the guidelines consistently in my work?
‘How to recognize plagiarism', Indiana University Bloomington
‘Avoiding plagiarism', University of Leicester
'Demystifying citing and referencing', Monash University
'Footnoting (Chicago)', Monash University