Knowing when and how to include academic references is a crucial skill. Effective referencing gives your work credibility; lack of references or poor referencing technique can risk plagiarism, leading to poor marks and even failing assignments. There are a number of different referencing systems in use at UEA, so it is important to understand which you are expected to use and how it works.
Listen to UEA students and staff talk about plagiarism.
Here are a number of resources that can help you understand and follow the important academic conventions, including referencing and avoiding plagiarism.
- Cite them right online - This site will help you to reference just about any source, and understand how to avoid plagiarism.
- Take a look at the UEA video at the top of this page for an introduction to the issues.
- Read more about why plagiarism occurs and the skills you'll need to develop to avoid it in our Plagiarism Awareness Overview.
- Our study guides in the right hand menu can help you develop the skills needed to avoid plagiarism.
- You will also find interactive materials on our Blackboard site. To access these resources go to the Academic tab of the UEA Portal and look for the module ‘DOS-LET: Learning Enhancement Team'.
- Find answers to common questions about plagiarism and referencing in our FAQs.
- Find definitions of commonly used terminology related to plagiarism and referencing in our Glossary.
For more in-depth discussion of issues relating to plagiarism and referencing students can speak to one of our tutors. We also run a programme of Academic Skills Workshops that is open to all students registered on UEA courses.
5 QUESTIONS for referencing your work.
- Do I need a reference?
- Would it be better to paraphrase this information or quote it directly?
- What information about my source do I need to include?
- Have I checked my School's referencing guidelines?
- Have I followed the guidelines consistently in my work?
The Student Union Advice Centre also provides a range of advice on issues relating to your studies at UEA, including plagiarism and collusion.
‘How to recognize plagiarism', Indiana University Bloomington
‘Avoiding plagiarism', University of Leicester
'Demystifying citing and referencing', Monash University
'Footnoting (Chicago)', Monash University
'Test your understanding of plagiarism', University of Essex