Most students need help or advice sometimes as they learn how to meet the academic expectations of their subject. Students for whom English is a second language have the additional challenge of living in an unfamiliar country, studying in a second language and in a different academic culture. Chris Bishop and Zoë Jones are tutors with specialist expertise in helping international students understand those differences and understand what is expected from students in a UK university, particularly in relation to academic studies and writing. Chris and Zoë are located in Nelson Court House 33.
A tutorial can help you to:
- identify areas of English language you need to improve
- understand what you need to do for specific assignments
- understand what your School expects from you
- understand and use the feedback you have been given for your assignment
- understand the "rules" of English academic writing and your particular academic discipline
- find resources which will help you with your studies
Please note that although tutors can discuss particular assignments with you, they cannot systematically correct your grammar and spelling for you.
Try the activities at www.prepareforsuccess.org.uk to help you learn more about academic life in the UK and the skills needed for effective study.
Native English Speaking International Students
Students who are from other English speaking countries, such as the US and Australia, may find the following document useful.