An explanation of the common terms used at UEA An explanation of the common terms used at UEA

You will probably hear many words and expressions which have specific meanings in the context of a university. These may not necessarily be in the dictionary. You may also find ‘acronyms' which you do not understand. For example, UEA is an acronym for University of East Anglia. If you follow this link you will find explanations of words, expressions and acronyms. You can send us your own suggestions by filling in the form you will find on the website.

Here is a sample:

Academic Adviser - Undergraduates have an academic adviser from their school who they can ask for advice about courses and option.

Campus - This usually refers to the buildings and surroundings of a university where the university is the principal occupier of an area. Many of the Universities founded in the 1960's and built outside towns and cities are called "Campus Universities" such as UEA or York.

Dissertation - A long report describing the results of original study and research, which can be anything from 5,000 to 40,000 words. A dissertation can be submitted as part of the assessment on a first degree, but is more frequently submitted as part of a higher degree (such as an MSc).

Faculty - A faculty is a collection of academic departments that are grouped together for teaching, research and administrative purposes. At UEA there are four Faculties (Health, Science, Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences – these are made up of individual schools of study (e.g. Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Mathematics etc.).

FAQ - stands for frequently asked questions and often appears on helpsheets and information on the internet and elsewhere

FYI - Means ‘for your information' and may appear at the beginning of an email which has been forwarded to you.

Graduate - A student who has completed an undergraduate course of study (usually 3 or 4 years) and obtained a bachelor's degree.

Lectures - A lecture is usually a formal presentation of ideas and information by a member of the academic staff to a fairly large number of students. Many lectures are accompanied with student handouts, although you will generally be encouraged to make your own notes too.

Reading Week - A period during a semester or term when students can concentrate on their individual learning and research. During these weeks there are usually no formal teaching sessions.

If you have found any other terms which you would like us to define, please email them to us and we will include them here.