Student Support Rep Recruitment
Deciding to start University can be a daunting prospect, especially for international students who may be visiting the UK, or even leaving home for the first time in their life. Here at UEA we have a diverse community of over 3,500 international students representing 120 nationalities and we look forward to welcoming more to the University each year.
We are now looking for current British and international students who will be continuing their studies at UEA in 2017/18 to take on the exciting role of a Student Support Rep to support international students during their time here. To be eligible you will need to have studied at UEA for at least one semester prior to September 2017 and interested in helping to support the work of the International Students Advisory Team in the Student Support Service.
This exciting opportunity will give you the chance to meet and work with others, develop valuable transferrable skills, make friends and have fun through a combination of paid and voluntary roles. Although there will be some paid project work within the Student Support Rep role, this is predominantly a volunteering opportunity. Paid work will typically be during the International Orientation and Discovery Week taking place in September and January.
What is a Student Support Rep?
The Student Support Representative, or Rep, is a current UK, EU or International UEA student with an interest in international student affairs. You will work closely with ISAT based in the Student Support Centre on a number of projects throughout the year with an emphasis on enhancing international students’ experiences play a key role in supporting the UEA Language Support and buddy schemes, working during the new student arrival days and take part in a range of initiatives during the year on supporting new and existing international students at UEA.
What will a Student Support Rep do?
The role of a Student Support Service Rep will be varied and will include:
- Welcoming new international students to UEA.
- Assisting with the International Orientation and Discovery Week in September.
- Leading and supporting a small group of new international students to help them settle into life at UEA.
- Supporting the Language Support Buddy scheme by meeting weekly for 6 weeks one to one with an international student to practise their English.
- Supporting the activities of the Conversation Club.
- Giving UEA Campus Tours.
- Helping to organise internationally themed events.
- Working closely with the ISAT on various projects aimed at promoting integration of British and international students.
- Contributing articles of interest for the 'International Life' student newsletter.
- Taking part in the Global Voices project to share cultures with local school children.
- And more...
Apply to be a Student Support Rep
Applications for 2017/18 are now closed. If you are interested in becoming a Student Support Rep in the following academic year, please read the Role Description and applying in January/February 2018. Alternatively, you can apply to be a Language Support Buddy if you meet the requirements.
If you would like more information or have any questions, please contact Paul Hartzler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01603 592281
Student Support Rep Application Form