Tier 4 Visa Requirements Tier 4 Visa Requirements

The information below will give you the Tier 4 visa requirements and information needed to apply for your visa to study in the UK. There is a lot of information, but it is all very important for applying for a Tier 4 visa. 

It is always recommend that you check the official government UKVI website and the Tier 4 Policy Guidance for all the updated and official requirements.

All students are required to pay the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge as part of their Tier 4 visa application. If you are applying in the UK, download the Tier 4 Visa Help Guide to assist you with your application.

The cost of making an application

The visa application fee is £475 per person

The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) is £300 per year per person

The biometric fee (fingerprints) is £19.20 per person

The appointment fee to UK visa Application Centre is between £60-£200 per person


Tier 4 Visa Help Guide

How to Complete Your Visa Application : Video Guide

When to Apply When to Apply

The following requirements will help you know when to apply:

  • The earliest you can apply is 3 months before the start of your course or your visa expiring
  • Must have a new Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement to apply
  • You must apply before your visa expires (if applying in the UK)
  • Before the deadline if transferring to UEA or are starting a new course (see below)
  • Must be able to meet all the requirements
    • Have the required money in your bank account for at least 28 days etc.

Applying in the UK and transferring from another UK institution

If you have finished a course at another UK institution or are transferring to start studying at UEA, you must apply for your visa before you can start your course.

If you are planning to start a new course, but will not receive your previous qualification award before starting your new course, you will have to get a formal written confirmation (FWC) letter from your previous institution (including UEA) in order to get a new CAS statement for your next course. If you do not successfully get your previous qualification award (including being required to do a reassessment), you will be have to stop studying and your visa will be cancelled by the Home Office.

If you completed your course at UEA, please request your formal confirmation by completing form LTS200 - then select "Letter Requests".

Applying in the UK and transferring from INTO or starting a new course at UEA

If you have finished a course at INTO and are going to start at UEA or you have finished a course and starting a new course at UEA, you must apply for your visa within 6 weeks of the start date of your new course.

How to Apply How to Apply

You will need to apply online for a Tier 4 visa. If applying outside the UK, you will need to follow the instructions in the application process, as these differ from country to country. When you get your visa, you will receive a 30 day visa to allow you to enter the UK. Once you arrive you will need to collect your Tier 4 visa either from UEA or at a local Post Office. This will depend on which option you have chosen during your visa application.  More information is available on our Biometric Residence Permit page. If you are eligible and you are already in the UK on a Tier 4 visa, you can apply within the UK. To find out more about the process to apply, visit the page where you will be applying from.

Applying Outside the UK                                                                                 

Applying in the UK

Money Requirement Money Requirement

How Much Money Do I Need?

The Home Office have strict financial requirements that you must meet to be able to get a student visa. Failure to have the required funds or to meet the requirements will result in your visa application being refused.

All students must be able to show:

  • Tuition fees for at least 1 year (or duration of course if less than 1 year), and
  • Living costs

Living Cost Requirement

Studying outside London

Students will need to show £1,015 per month for a maximum of 9 months (£1,015 x 9). The maximum amount for the living cost requirement is £9,135.

If your course is less than 9 months then you need to multiply £1,015 by the number of months of your course to have the required amount available. For example, if your course is 6 months, then you need to show that you have available on your financial evidence £6,090 (£1,015 x 6).

Studying in London

If you are applying to a university in London you must show £1,265 per month (£1,265 x 9 = £11,385).

If your course in London is for less than 9 months, you need to multiply £1,265 by the number of months of your course to have the required amount available.

If dependent are applying with you in London then you must show £845 per person (dependant) per month. The maximum is 9 months (£845 x 9 = £7,605).

Sponsored Students, Scholarships, Studentships

If your sponsorship, scholarship or studentship covers any living costs or maintenance, you can deduct the amount specified from the living cost requirement. You can use your sponsorship letter to prove you meet the financial requirements.

Paying UEA Accommodation in Advance

A maximum of £1,265 paid in advance to UEA for Accommodation (which will be listed on your CAS) can be deducted from the amount of maintenance you must show that you have, even if you have paid more than £1,265 in advance.

Tuition Fees

You must be able to show that you have funds for your tuition fees for one academic year or the full tuition fees if the course is one year or less. You can deduct the amount you have already paid to UEA for tuition from the amount required to show. The total amount of your tuition and the amount you have paid to UEA will be listed on your CAS. If you make a payment after you have received your CAS, you can request to have your CAS statement updated.

Any scholarships or studentships from UEA will be deducted from your course fees on your CAS and you do not need to show further proof of this. If you do not pay any course fees to UEA, your CAS will state £0.00 course fees.

If you are applying to come to the UK on a study abroad programme and pay your course fees to your home institution, your CAS will confirm this. If you are a fully funded student, for example being sponsored by your government, your CAS will state your full year course fees and you will need to show your sponsorship letter or certificate as proof of your funds.

Total Amount of Funds Needed for Maintenance (some examples)

This is only an example to help show how to calculate the total amount of funds needed.

Example 1:

  £15,000 (Tuition - e.g.)
+ £ 9,135 (Living cost)
= £24,135 (Total amount needeed on the financial evidence you provide)

Example 2:

  £14,000 (Tuition - e.g.)
- £7,000 (Tuition fees paid - as stated on your CAS - e.g.)
+ £9,135 (Living cost)
- £1,265 (Accommodation fee paid to UEA - as stated on your CAS - e.g.)
= £14,870 (Total amount needed on the financial evidence you provide)

Money needed for dependants

Any partner or children (also known as dependants) that you want to bring to the UK with you must have money in place to support them. The maintenance requirements for dependants of a Tier 4 (General) is £680 per month, for each month of the Tier 4 (General) student's course, up to a maximum of 9 months.

If you are going to study in London, each dependant must show £845 per month (£845 x 9 = £7,605).


A dependant of a Tier 4 (General) student on the doctorate Extension Scheme must show that they have money for their living costs for each month of the Tier 4 (General) student's course, up to a maximum of 2 months.

CAS - Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies CAS - Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies

You must have a CAS statement to apply for your visa. A CAS statement confirms that the University is sponsoring your visa and it gives your personal details, details of your course, confirms your tuition fees and amount paid, and other information about your admission to UEA.

  • You can only get a CAS 3 months before the start of your course or 3 months before your visa end date
  • You must check and confirm your CAS preview is correct before you will be given your unique CAS number
  • Proof of your finances must be available before your CAS can be issued. The Admissions Office may request to check your financial documents before your CAS preview can be issued.
  • A CAS is only valid for 6 months
  • You can only use a CAS once

If you apply using an expired or used CAS your visa will be refused. You do not need the original CAS statement and you can use the emailed CAS for your application.

Receiving your CAS

  • If you are starting a new course, you will receive a CAS from the Admissions Office at UEA. You will only be able to receive it after you have accepted your unconditional offer and you have met all other admission requirements.
  • If you are applying for a new visa to complete your current course, you will have to request a CAS from your HUB
  • Your CAS will be emailed to you
  • You must provide UEA with your passport details before you can get your CAS
  • If requested, you must provide UEA with your financial documents that you will use for your visa application.
  • You will receive a CAS Preview, which you must check and confirm by email that your CAS is correct, before you will be sent your official CAS with a CAS number.
  • You will then receive your official CAS statement

Supporting Documents Needed Supporting Documents Needed

You will need to prepare supporting documents for your application. The number and type of documents will depend on your individual application. You can find more information on the Supporting Documents page.

Students studying a Masters course of 13 months or less and students from certain countries can show less supporting documents. See Tier 4 Pilot Scheme and Differentiation Arrangements below.


Supporting Documents

Original Documents

All supporting documents must be original and meet the Home Office's requirements. If you are not able to include original documents you will need to write a covering letter explaining why you cannot send the originals. This can cause your application to be refused. If this will affect your application, seek advice from an International Student Advisor in Student Support Centre.

Translations into English

If your bank statement, degree certificate or any other documents are not in English, you will be required to send the original along with a fully certified translation by a professional translator. This translation must include the following details:

  • Details of the translator's credentials
  • Confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • The translator's contact details
  • The date and original signature of the translator

Tier 4 Pilot Scheme Tier 4 Pilot Scheme

Students studying a Masters course for 13 months or less are not required to submit proof of finances or previous education qualifications.

However, the Home Office can ask for these documents when they are processing your application, which you must email immediately.

The Admissions Office at UEA may also request to check these documents before issuing you a CAS preview as part of the admissions process.

If you will be studying a Masters course that is 13 month or less, you will automatically be applying for your visa within the scheme. 

What does it mean, applying within the scheme?

  • You will get 6 additional month to your visa after your course end date.
  • You can submit less documents with your application.
  • Your CAS will state if you are eligible for the Tier 4 pilot scheme.
  • If you send financial documents and qualifications that are not required, they will be assessed.
  • Additional documents can be requested by the UKVI at any time whilst they process your application, so you must prepare them at the time of application.

Find more information on our Tier 4 Pilot Scheme page.

**See the Home Office Tier 4 Policy Guidance for more information.

differentiation arrangements differentiation arrangements

Students from certain countries are not required to submit proof of finances or educational documents. However, UKVI can ask for these documents at any time when processing your application, so you must prepare them.

Countries included in differentiation arrangements are:

Australia, Bahrain, Barbados, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Dominican Republic, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Macau SAR, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, New Zealand, Oman, Peru, Qatar, Serbia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan*, Thailand, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates (UAE), United States of America, and British National (Overseas).

*Taiwanese – if you hold a passport issued by Taiwan that includes the number of the identification card issued by the competent authority in Taiwan.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Clearance Certificate Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Clearance Certificate

You will need an ATAS Certificate if you are doing a PhD or Masters degree in one of the subjects listed on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website. These are mainly in the science subjects. You must check with your school at UEA to confirm if you are required to apply for an ATAS Certificate.

* You will need to apply and receive your ATAS Certificate before you are able to get your CAS from the University. You will also need it when you apply for a Tier 4 visa. You must apply for a new ATAS Certificate each time you apply for a new Tier 4 visa. 

To apply

  1. You will need information from the school, including a Code, which will be required when applying.

  2. To apply go to the GOV.UK website. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office administer the scheme and you will need to apply online.

  3. You will receive your ATAS Certificate by email. Print this off and include it in your visa application. It can take at least 4 weeks to get an ATAS Certificate from the date you applied, so prepare early and apply as soon as possible.

Your CAS Statement will also confirm if you need an ATAS Certificate or not. 

Apply for an ATAS

Visa End Date Visa End Date

If you apply as a Tier 4 (General) Student your visa should expire:

  • 4 months after your course end date, if your course is 12 full calendar months or more.
  • 6 months after your course end date, if your course is a Masters course of 13 months or less.
  • 2 months after your course, if your course lasts 6 months or more, but less than 12 months.
  • 1 month after your course, if it is a pre-sessional course of less than 6 months.
  • 7 days after your course, if it is less than 6 months and not a pre-sessional course.

Additional Resources Additional Resources

* The information contained on this page is up-to-date from April 2019