Understanding BRPs and collecting them once in the UK Understanding BRPs and collecting them once in the UK

What is a biometric residence permit (BRP)?

Biometric residence permits are issued to all those from outside the European Economic Area who are granted a visa to enter the UK for more than six months. A biometric residence permit (BRP) is a visa that looks like an identification card (ID) and holds your biographic details (name, date and place of birth), biometric information (facial image and fingerprints), and shows your immigration status and conditions while you are in the UK.

BRP sample





Your 30 Day Vignette to Enter the UK

When you apply for your visa outside the UK you will be asked to provide an intended travel date.  We suggest that you choose a date 7 days before your course start date. 

Successful applicants will be issued with a vignette in their passport which is valid for 30 day. This will cover a period before and after the start date of your course, according to the intended travel date you stated in your application. The vignette is proof only of your permission to enter the UK. You must travel during these 30 days and you will not be allowed to enter the country outside those dates (if for any reason you are unable to travel you’ll need to apply and pay for a vignette transfer for a new 30-day period).


EC vignette sample


Please note that you must never arrive in the UK earlier than 1 month before the start date of your course if you are studying a course for 6 months or more or a pre-sessional course (7 days if your course is less than 6 months).

How will I receive my BRP?

Due to current circumstances the procedure for collection of your BRP is being confirmed. We will send you information on how to collect your BRP.

Where can I get more information?

Always check the UK Government website for the most up to date information regarding the collection of BRPs.

Download the UK Visa and Immigration Department’s Guidance Notes for BRP cards.

If you need further information / clarification contact the International Student Advisers on student.life@uea.ac.uk