Whether you have brought a phone with you or you are going to buy a new or used one in the UK, just make sure you research your options. If you bring one with you, make sure it is unlocked and can be used in the UK with a service provider.
There are a couple different options you have for a mobile phone service provider.
- Pay-As-You-Go where you add credit to your SIM card as and when you need it.
- SIM only monthly contract where you have set number of minutes, texts and data.
- Phone and SIM contact where you buy a phone and service plan normally on a one or two year contract.
There are a number of networks to choose from, most of which have shops in the city centre. The main providers are Vodafone, EE, O2 and Three. However, you can shop around for different providers, and SIM cards. www.uswitch.com is a good comparison website to find a good deal.
Internet and WiFi
The University’s WiFi is called eduroam, and it can be accessed in most places on campus. To contact to the eduroam WiFi follow these instructions:
- Select setup-UEA-wireless from the list of available WiFi networks and click Join or Connect.
- Open your web browser (you may need to refresh the page), you will be redirected to the UEA eduroam setup page.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
If you are living in UEA accommodation, you can connect to the internet in your room with the Ethernet cable that is provided.