healthcare after brexit healthcare after brexit

How will healthcare work after Brexit?

Travelling in Europe?

It is important that you have insurance in case you need medical treatment while travelling. If you are a resident in the EU/UK and you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you should be able to access healthcare abroad. However, you must check for the countries you are visiting and if your EHIC can be used there.

After Brexit, it is not certain whether EHIC cards will still be valid. The UK government is seeking to extend reciprocal healthcare rights until December 2020.

The NHS website currently has information about EHICs that suggests you will not be able to use them as before, once the UK leaves the EU.

If you are travelling abroad over the Easter holidays, it will be safest to buy some personal travel/health care insurance before you travel.

If you have a Tier 4 visa or you are an EU/EEA national, but do not have an EHIC, then the alternative is to have medical insurance and/or travel insurance. If you already have insurance, check to see if it will cover you for your travels to other European countries. You can purchase travel insurance online in the UK before you travel. Travel insurance will cover medial costs, lost baggage, delayed travel and much more.