Personal Safety and UK Laws Personal Safety and UK Laws

Emergency Text System

Students are automatically enrolled, so you will receive a text message on your mobile if there is any emergencies or crises on campus. It is important to keep your contact details for UEA up-to-date. You can do this on e:vision.

Safety and Security Tips

  • There is safety in numbers, so stay with your group when you go out.
  • Keep important numbers in your phone including emergency and non-emergency numbers as well as taxi companies.
  • Do not carry large amounts of cash, and avoid showing how much cash you have.
  • When walking at night keep to public routes that are well lit and keep to main lit walkways on campus. If in doubt get the bus or a taxi.
  • Pay attention to your surroundings and use your common sense.
  • Be careful when drinking alcohol. Do not drink too much, especially if you are on your own. Look after your friends on a night out and be aware of spiked drinks. Do not accept drinks from people you do not know.
  • UEA Security and the police will provide identification. If they do not and you think they may not be, ask them and they will show you their official ID.
  • Be careful who you trust. You will meet a lot of new people, but it is best to get to know them more before you trust them.
  • Do not loan people large amounts of money, even your friends.
  • Always walk tall and confidently, as if you know where you are going, even if you don’t. Keep your head up and look straight ahead. This will give the impression that you are confident and on familiar ground.
  • Get insurance for your possessions.
  • Do not leave your bags and valuable items unattended, even in the library or in the Student Union.
  • If you have a bike, use a D-Lock to lock your bike with - these are available to buy on campus from Dr Bike.

Download the UEA|SU Personal Safety leaflet

Any problems with safety or security on campus contact the Security Lodge 01603 592352, or online. 

UEA|SU Safer Taxi Scheme

On a night out and have no money to get home? Do not worry with the UEA|SU Safer Taxi Scheme, you can get home safe and pay for the taxi later. 

Report a Crime

If you need to report a crime you can do it in the following ways:

UK Laws UK Laws

Laws in the UK might be different and might carry different penalties than your country.

In the UK it is illegal:

  • To smoke inside public places or directly next to entrances.
  • To carry any type of weapons, including knives (including pocket knives/penknives) and CS gas spray (including pepper spray).
  • To use or possess illegal drugs including cannabis, ecstasy, LSD and amphetamines.
  • To buy alcohol or tobacco for anyone under 18 years old.
  • To drive a car or motorcycle under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
  • To offer bribes
  • To drive a car without valid license, insurance, tax or MOT.
  • To falsely report a theft or crime to police.
  • To buy property you think is stolen.
  • To buy alochol or tobacco under the age of 18 (for either your own consumption or for others).

Driving in the UK Driving in the UK

In the UK we drive on the left and give way to traffic to the right at roundabouts! But there is a lot more to consider if you decide to drive or buy a car. For example, you must buy car insurance for yourself and any other drivers.

Requirements to drive in the UK

  • Valid driving license (a license from another country can normally be used for up to 1 year)
  • Car insurance
  • Road Tax
  • MOT

It is also important to know the rules of the road, which can be found in the Highway Code.

You can also find a lot of information for international students driving in the UK on the UKCISA Driving webpage.