All studies undertaken at the University which involve human participants (or their tissue or data) and animals, or which may have the potential to affect the environment or cultural objects, require a form of ethical review. Therefore, Surveys, Focus Groups and interviews etc. for market research / research for internal evaluations carried out by / within UEA will require ethics review.
An ethics application form and attachments as appropriate (see below) for studies to be undertaken by the University's Central Services and the University's Students' Union should be emailed to the Research and Innovation Services (email@example.com) for review and approval by the University Research Ethics Committee (UREC). Those to be undertaken by staff and students in the Faculties and Schools of Study should be emailed to the relevant S-REC.
Ethics should be taken into account at an early stage in the development of the study. Ethics approval must be obtained BEFORE the study starts and at least 10 working days should be allowed for initial review. It can take much longer than this if the Chair of UREC / S-REC has questions.
All Surveys that satisfy the following criteria will require approval from the Student Surveying Approval Group (SSAG):
- The research audience is more than 250 students (including research projects that requires promotion to more than 250 students).
- The student sample will involve more than one school.
Ideally, SSAG approval should be gained before starting the ethical review process. However, if timescales are short it may be advisable to request ethics approval alongside the SSAG process.
Please email all complete documents for UREC review to the Research and Innovation Services (firstname.lastname@example.org). Should you have any queries relating to the completion of the form then please contact RIN (email@example.com). For ethics queries, including the need for ethical approval, please contact Bridget Penhale (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application Form - Ethical Review
Attachments for Surveys
- Survey Template 1 - Survey Study Proposal
- Survey Template 2 - Survey Study Invitation for Participants
- Survey Template 3 - Survey Study Participant Information and Consent Sheet
- Survey Template 4 - Introduction Page for the Survey
Attachments for Focus Groups
- Focus Group Template 1 - Focus Group Study Proposal
- Focus Group Template 2 - Focus Group Study Invitation for Participants
- Focus Group Template 3 - Focus Group Study Consent Form
PLEASE COMPLETE A SEPARATE APPLICATION FORM FOR EACH STUDY TO BE UNDERTAKEN AND PROVIDE THE RELEVANT SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION AS APPROPRIATE.