If you do not have any external funding, or your external funding cannot be used to cover open access costs, there are still ways in which you can make your work open access.

First, there is the green route to open access, where you upload a copy of the full text of the publication to PURE, which will then feed through to the UEA Digital Repository where it can be publicly accessed.  In the case of journal articles and conference proceedings, if you do this at the point of acceptance, then you will also ensure that the article is eligible for the next REF.

If you would like to make the article open access through the gold route (eg because you want the article to be open access immediately, or because your preferred publication is open access only), then you will be interested in what options there might be.

Publisher deals for gold open access

There are currently a number of deals that have been negotiated by Jisc on behalf of UK institutions with a number of publishers, that will cover the full costs of open access publishing, and this is a situation that is evolving rapidly.

If you are publishing with these publishers, we may ask you to complete an APC funding Request Form.  This is to make sure that the article is covered by the deal (as there are some exclusions) and to make sure that our records are complete.

Currently there are deals with the following publishers for articles with UEA corresponding authors:

  • Springer Compact (please note that this does not cover all publications by Springer Nature)
  • Wiley
  • Institute of Physics
  • Portland Press
  • Microbiology Society
  • Company of Biologists
  • Royal Society in Chemistry (in progress)


Is there any funding for APCs with other publishers?

Currently, there are no centralised sources of funding at UEA for non-RCUK research articles.

However, there may be funds available through your School or Faculty.  In such cases, you should contact your School Director of Research before you submit the article.

You could also investigate the publisher’s (or journal’s) waiver policy.  You may be required to provide evidence around lack of funds, so again it is best to find out about this before you submit.

If there is no funding how can I be REF eligible?

It is important to know that eligibility for the post-2014 REF explicitly does not require any payment to the publisher to enable open access. 

The REF policy is a ‘green first’ policy as it is based on the deposit of a copy of the accepted manuscript into a repository.  At UEA, we require that articles are deposited in the institutional repository via PURE in addition to any subject-specific repositories such as EuropePMC.

For more information about the REF open access policy, please see the HEFCE policy page.