The European Commission believes that to make the transition to a reliable, sustainable and competitive energy system, we need to overcome a number of challenges, such as increasingly scarce resources, growing energy needs and climate change.
The Secure, Clean and Efficient Energy Societal Challenge (SC3) is structured around seven specific objectives and research areas:
- Reducing energy consumption and carbon footprint;
- Low-cost, low-carbon electricity supply;
- Alternative fuels and mobile energy sources;
- A single, smart European electricity grid;
- New knowledge and technologies;
- Robust decision making and public engagement;
- Market uptake of energy and ICT innovation.