The Researchfish 2018 submission exercise is now closed. The submission period for responses was from Monday 5 February 2018 to 16:00 hours on Thursday 15 March 2018.
From 1 April 2018 Research Councils UK (RCUK) was replaced by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). There may be some changes to the 2019 Researchfish submission process and supporting web pages and documents as a result - we will update these pages with further details once they are available.
Researchfish® is a service used by many public and charitable research funding agencies including UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) (formerly the UK Research Councils (RCUK)), the British Heart Foundation, Arthritis Research UK, Cancer Research UK, and NIHR) to standardise and collect research outcomes to help them track the impacts of their investments.
Who needs to submit outcomes data via Researchfish?
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) (formerly the UK Research Councils (RCUK)) funding: All current students in the third or later year of their studies funded (at least 50%) by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). For the 2018 submission period this means students whose awards started on or before 4 February 2016. There are some exemptions (e.g. absence on maternity leave or long-term sickness) and if you feel you should not be included in the survey, please contact Paul Vazquez in the PGR Service in the first instance.
UKRI studentship outcomes data should be provided throughout the studentship and for up to three years beyond the end of your studentship.
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) (formerly the UK Research Councils (RCUK)) funded students who started after 4 February 2016:
Your studentship award will be registered for use on the Researchfish system at a later date. Once you are added to the system you will receive an email from UKRI (as below), and at that time will be able to begin adding outcomes.
National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) funding: All current students funded by NIHR, including taught postgraduates (e.g. those undertaking the MSc in Clinical Research). There are some exemptions (e.g. absence on maternity leave or long-term sickness) and if you feel you should not be included in the survey, please contact Paul Vazquez in the PGR Service in the first instance.
NIHR studentship outcomes data should be provided throughout the studentship and for up to five years beyond the end of your studentship.
Is it mandatory?
Yes, it is a condition of UKRI and NIHR funding to provide up-to-date details of the outputs and outcomes of your research and to submit this information via Researchfish during the Submission Period.
The UKRI cross-Council Sanctions Policy and the NIHR Sanctions Policy do not apply at present to students or their supervisors. However, you are strongly encouraged to participate as overall institutional compliance may be considered in making future doctoral training bids and the University will therefore be monitoring submission levels throughout the submission period.
What do I need to do?
- if you have not already, register your details using the login details provided by Researchfish.
- ensure your primary supervisor is added as a 'Team Member' on your award and add any other supervisors as appropriate.
- enter your outcomes, e.g. publications, collaborations, public engagement.
- submit your outcomes during the 'submission period'.
- For UKRI-funded awards repeat every year until three years after your studentship has finished; for NIHR-funded awards repeat every year until five years after your studentship has finished.
How do I login to Researchfish?
UKRI students who started on or before 4 February 2016:
You should have been sent an email from UKRI with login details. This included a link to allow you to register on the Researchfish system and create your own account.
You should have been sent an email from Researchfish with login details. This included a link to allow you to register on the Researchfish system and create your own account.
To re-request your Researchfish login details
If you did not receive, or have lost, the login information email from Researchfish or have any problems logging in please contact the help desk at email@example.com.
Alternatively, You can use the Researchfish automated system to resend your login details to yourself. Simply go to: https://app.researchfish.com/helpwiz/invite and then -
- Select your funding organisation and enter your name. If your funder has a record of you on Researchfish, you will then be shown a partial hint of the e-mail address your funder has on record. If you have access to that e-mail address, then simply choose to resend the invitation. If you do not, then there will be an option to contact your funder and request they update the e-mail address they have on record for you. They can then send an invitation to your new address.
- If your award reference is not found, and you have selected the correct funder, then that means they have not created a record of an award with that reference. You will need to contact your funder for further information.
When do I have to enter data?
You can enter data at any time throughout the year but you will need to confirm that all of your information is accurate and complete during the annual submission period. The current submission period runs between Monday 5 February 2018 and 1600 hours on Thursday 15 March 2018. You will receive reminder emails when the submission period opens and when to finish entering and submit your data. Successful submissions will be confirmed by the system via email.
We recommend not leaving your submission to the final day as you will not have the time to resolve any queries and there is likely to be a high volume of system use on that day, meaning that you may experience delays.
What happens to my data?
UKRI wants to exploit the research outcomes data information fully and share with others so as to convey the quality and impact of the UK research base. Outcomes information from Researchfish is published via the UKRI Gateway to Research.
NIHR's Researchfish Update 2017 web page provides further details on how it uses the data.
Please ensure that submitted data is appropriate for use in the public domain e.g. it is not defamatory; personal information about named individuals is not provided; it does not contain commercially sensitive information; etc.
Where can I find further information?
- Help and guidance is provided throughout the Researchfish system (see the blue "?" symbol throughout). There is an online Help Centre available within the system, with FAQs, context sensitive enquiry functionality and Live Chat (available 9am to 5pm, Monday - Friday).
- More video tutorials are available via the dedicated Researchfish YouTube channel.
- The Researchfish 'Help and Support' website is available at https://app.researchfish.com/helpwiz.
- The Researchfish help desk can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Further information on Researchfish and the help available within UEA during the submission period can be found at this UEA page on Reporting the Results of Funded Research - Researchfish.
- Researchers can also email questions regarding the use of Researchfish to email@example.com .
- Please see the FAQs for students and graduates and Supervisors and PGR Directors on the PGR Service web pages, which will be updated regularly.
- Students based at one of the NBI Institutes can access further information and guidance sessions through the NBI Intranet at http://intranet/cms/2878 (please note, this link does not work outside of NBI).