The 2020 Researchfish submission exercise will run from Monday 3 February 2020 to 16:00 hours on Thursday 12 March 2020.
Researchfish® is a service used by many public and charitable research funding agencies including UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) (formerly the UK Research Councils (RCUK)), the British Heart Foundation, Arthritis Research UK, Cancer Research UK, and NIHR) to standardise and collect research outcomes to help them track the impacts of their investments.
What changes are there for the 2020 submission?
UKRI is attempting to reduce the burden of reporting and is making the following changes for the 2020 submission:
Where a UKRI council uses the Skills Shortage MAQ, award holders will now only be asked to complete this section for an award during its first Submission Period. After the first submission of this MAQ for a particular award it will become non-mandatory for that award in all future Submission Periods.
Where a UKRI council uses the Animal Use or Secondments MAQs, these questions will not be asked again in respect of an award once they have been answered in a submission period that ends after the award’s funding has finished e.g. if funding ended in September 2018, and a submission was made against the award in March 2019, these sections will be removed ahead of the 2020 exercise. If an award ends during the submission period, the award holder will be not required to answer these questions in the following submission period as long as a submission is made. If a submission is not made, the questions will remain mandatory until a submission is made.
Who needs to submit outcomes data via Researchfish?
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) (formerly the UK Research Councils (RCUK)) funding: All current postgraduate researchers in the third or later year of their studies funded (at least 50%) by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). For the 2020 submission period this means postgraduate researchers whose awards started on or before 2 February 2018. There are some exemptions (e.g. absence on maternity leave, long-term sickness or remote fieldwork where no access to email or the internet is available) and if you feel you should not be included in the survey, please contact Paul Vazquez in the PGR Service in the first instance.
UKRI studentship outcomes data should be provided throughout the studentship and for up to three years beyond the end of your studentship.
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) (formerly the UK Research Councils (RCUK)) funded postgraduate researchers who started after 2 February 2018:
Your studentship award will be registered for use on the Researchfish system at a later date. Once you are added to the system you will receive an email from UKRI (as below), and at that time will be able to begin adding outcomes.
National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) funding: All current students funded by NIHR, including taught postgraduates (e.g. those undertaking the MSc in Clinical Research). There are some exemptions (e.g. absence on maternity leave or long-term sickness) and if you feel you should not be included in the survey, please contact Paul Vazquez in the PGR Service in the first instance.
NIHR studentship outcomes data should be provided throughout the studentship and for up to five years beyond the end of your studentship.
Is it mandatory?
Yes, it is a condition of UKRI and NIHR funding to provide up-to-date details of the outputs and outcomes of your research and to submit this information via Researchfish during the Submission Period.
The UKRI cross-Council Sanctions Policy and the NIHR Sanctions Policy do not apply at present to students or their supervisors. However, you are strongly encouraged to participate as overall institutional compliance may be considered in making future funding and doctoral training bids and the University will therefore be monitoring submission levels and contacting you to encourage you to submit throughout the submission period.
What do I need to do?
- if you have not already done so, register your details using the login details provided by Researchfish.
- ensure your primary supervisor is added as a 'Team Member' on your award and add any other supervisors as appropriate.
- enter your outcomes, e.g. publications, collaborations, public engagement.
- submit your outcomes during the 'submission period'.
- For UKRI-funded awards repeat every year until three years after your studentship has finished; for NIHR-funded awards repeat every year until five years after your studentship has finished.
How do I login to Researchfish?
UKRI postgraduate researchers who started on or before 2 February 2018:
You should have been sent an email from UKRI with login details. This included a link to allow you to register on the Researchfish system and create your own account.
For further details please see the UKRI Research Outcomes overview webpage, UKRI Researchfish Help and Guidance page and UKRI How We Collect Your Research Outcomes webpage.
You should have been sent an email from Researchfish with login details. This included a link to allow you to register on the Researchfish system and create your own account.
For further details please see the NIHR Researchfish Guidance webpage which includes further information on how to use Researchfish and commonly asked questions.
NIHR will ask the researchers they support to use the ORCID system in their submission. Researchers can follow this Quick Guide to create and/or connect to their ORCID ID via the University's Pure system.
To re-request your Researchfish login details
If you did not receive, or have lost, the login information email from Researchfish or have any problems logging in please contact the Researchfish help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, You can use the Researchfish automated system to resend your login details to yourself. Simply go to: https://app.researchfish.com/helpwiz/invite and then -
- Select your funding organisation and enter your first initial and then your surname. If your funder has a record of you on Researchfish, you will then be shown a partial hint of the e-mail address your funder has on record. If you have access to that e-mail address, then simply choose to resend the invitation. If you do not, then there will be an option to contact your funder and request they update the e-mail address they have on record for you. They can then send an invitation to your new e-mail address.
- If your award reference is not found, and you have selected the correct funder, then that means they have not created a record of an award with that reference. You will need to contact your funder for further information.
When do I have to enter data?
You can enter data at any time throughout the year but you will need to confirm that all of your information is accurate and complete during the annual submission period. The submission period runs between Monday 3 February 2020 and 1600 hours on Thursday 12 March 2020. You will receive reminder emails from Researchfish when the submission period opens and when to finish entering and submit your data. Successful submissions will be confirmed by the Researchfish system via email.
We recommend not leaving your submission to the final day as you will not have the time to resolve any queries and there is likely to be a high volume of system use on that day, meaning that you may experience delays.
What happens to my data?
UKRI wants to exploit the research outcomes data information fully and share with others so as to convey the quality and impact of the UK research base. Outcomes information from Researchfish is published via the UKRI Gateway to Publicly Funded Research and Innovation.
NIHR's Use of Information from Researchfish web page provides further details on how it uses the data.
Please ensure that submitted data is appropriate for use in the public domain e.g. it is not defamatory; personal information about named individuals is not provided; it does not contain commercially sensitive information; etc.
Where can I find further information?
- Help and guidance is provided throughout the Researchfish system (see the "Help Using This Page" button). There is an online Help Centre available within the system, with FAQs, context sensitive enquiry functionality and Live Chat (available 9am to 5pm, Monday - Friday).
- Video tutorials are available via the Researchfish Help Videos webpage.
- The Researchfish 'Help and Support' website is available at https://app.researchfish.com/helpwiz.
- Further information is available on the UKRI Research Outcomes website and the NIHR Researchfish Guidance webpage. The UKRI Information for Students webpage may also be of help in using Researchfish.
- The Researchfish help desk can be contacted via email@example.com and UKRI-funded postgraduate researchers can direct queries of a non-technical nature to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Further information on Researchfish and the help available within UEA during the submission period can be found at this UEA page on Reporting the Results of Funded Research - Researchfish.
- Researchers can also email questions regarding the use of Researchfish to email@example.com .
- Please see the FAQs for students and graduates and Supervisors and PGR Directors on the PGR Service web pages, which will be updated regularly.
- Postgraduate researchers based at one of the NBI Institutes can access further information and guidance sessions through the NBI Intranet at http://intranet/cms/2878 (please note, this link does not work outside of NBI).