Information about the first UEA Impact Week which ran from 30th January 2017 to Friday 3rd February can be found on the Impact Week pages here.
General Information about UEA Impact
Throughout our 50-year history much of UEA's research has had significant societal and economic impact. In recent years formally demonstrating and developing impact from research has become increasingly prominent. This has been due to:
- Investment of public funds in research in times of austerity increasing the need to demonstrate the benefits of research to wider society.
- Recognition that engagement with a wide range of potential beneficiaries throughout the research process can improve the quality of research.
- Improving the time taken between research activity and impact occurring, thereby maximizing the benefits of research, enhancing UEA's reputation and the UK's attractiveness for research and innovation investment.
The Impact Team
Email: C.Gallant@UEA.ac.uk ext:3189
Impact and Engagement Administrator
Email: E.Stewart-Rayner@UEA.ac.uk ext:2303
Advice, training, contacts, and support.
Find us in REN East (ARTS II, Room 0.62) or contact us now via the Impact email.
Please see the Relationship Brokerage page for further details about our current team of Relationship Managers
Support Offered for Impact
REN has a number of Relationship Managers that help academic staff to build relationships with private, public and not-for-profit partners to ensure the research done at UEA leads to impact. They can help you work with business support networks, support funding applications, organise industry-facing events and help to manage the University Impact Accelerator Accounts in order to enable impact generation through schemes such as knowledge transfer partnerships, licensing of intellectual property, consultancy, graduate careers and externally-funded research.
Intellectual Property and Enterprise
Please see the page on how to Commercialise Your Idea for details about this team.
Support Offered for Impact
Intellectual property based within REN is the University’s point of contact for business and industry to access the results of University research for technology transfer, licensing and commercial and business development. We manage an extensive portfolio of intellectual property opportunities available to industry for licensing out on a national and international basis and are here to help you protect your ideas, and develop their potential. REN can provide the following support:
- Scope out your idea and identify potential routes to progress
- Support funding applications
- Undertake initial market analysis
- Identifying commercial partners
- Managing the University’s IP portfolio
- Handling contractual & payment arrangements
- Consultancy support
Please follow this link to see more about how the Consultancy team can help you.
Support offered for Impact
Using the managed consultancy service will:
- Minimise the risk to you from non-payment, or contractual queries, or complaints, as your client organisations will be dealing with UEA Consulting Ltd rather than you as an individual
- Enable you to access the opportunities for consultancy identified by the Enterprise & Commercialisation Team (you will need to register on the University’s Register of Consultancy Expertise maintained by Research and Enterprise Services)
- Save you money as you can benefit from the University's professional indemnity insurance without having to pay for your own indemnity cover
- Save you time as you don’t need to undertake the administration for your consultancy – UEA Consulting Ltd can help you liaise with your client to agree fees & costs, get an agreement in place, carry out the invoicing, and then deal with payments to you via payroll
- Enable you to earn funds for yourself and/or your School
- Provide you and your Head of School with a documented record of your consultancy activities.
Other Key Impact Support Contacts
There are also a number of other teams who can support you in your impact activities within the university: