The new HESA Graduate Outcomes survey will replace the DLHE survey from the 17/18 leaving cohort onwards, with the collection of contact data from HEIs commencing in September 2018.
- The survey will be conducted centrally by agents contracted by HESA, rather than by HEPs as practiced hitherto, improving efficiency whilst enhancing the perception of a level playing field in this increasingly competitive and contentious area.
- Census dates will lag course completion by roughly 15 months, rather than the 6 hitherto in DLHE, meaning that the current 16/17 DLHE survey data is likely to persist in league tables for at least two years making it doubly significant.
- Will incorporate linked longitudinal (LEO) data from HMRC, DWP, HESA, etc.
- The increased lag between completion and survey means that Graduate Outcomes is also likely to replace Longitudinal DLHE, hitherto undertaken biennially after three years.
- The survey itself is statutory, so GDRP permissions are not required for the return except for our institutional use of the data (according to HESA).
Contact Data Collection
HESA has now published version 1.0 of their coding manual for the collection of the Graduate Outcomes Contact Details record 2017/18 including: