Physics is a multi-faceted discipline, covering themes as diverse as quantum physics, fluid mechanics, geophysics and chemical physics. The School is known for its diverse and cutting-edge teaching backed by pioneering research.
The Schools of Study at UEA teach thousands of undergraduate and postgraduate students each year across the four faculties of our campus in Norwich.
We’re looking forward to welcoming you to Physics.
If you haven’t already, check out our School pages on the UEA website.
Welcome to your Physics course. My colleagues and I look forward to working with you, ensuring that you have all the support you need to be successful in your studies.
Your first week at UEA will be a busy and exciting one. You will meet many new people and there will be a lot of information to take in. To get the most from your first few weeks here I urge you to:
- Attend as many of the welcome events as you can.
- Familiarise yourself with our IT systems. E:Vision, the SCI Student Zone on Blackboard and the UEA Portal are all critical to your time here
- Take some time to familiarise yourself with both the University and the School’s commitment to equality and diversity
- And most importantly speak to as many people as possible and ask questions!
I do hope you will enjoy being a student here and I wish you every success in your studies. I look forward to meeting you in person soon.
Professor Mark Searcey
Head of School
Steps to Success - Getting started in your School of Study
You will have received an email from UEA confirming your place. Follow the links to register online and set up your IT account, username and password.
Go to E:Vision to view your personalised timetable information. There will be UEA wide events for all students as well as our School events and activities.
Go to the SCI Student Zone.This is our area for all Science students to find common and School only information. It is an important reference area not only in your first few weeks but also during all your time here. Right now, your School areas on the SCI Student Zone will also have more information about any essential or recommended reading for your course (if needed before you arrive) or if you have optional module choices to make in your first year, there will be some more information about that. Most Schools have a ‘New Student Information’ area but do take time to browse the other tabs, including the general Science Student Information tab.
Follow these instructions once you have registered online:
- Go to https://portal.uea.ac.uk/
- Select BLACKBOARD from the 3 orange buttons towards the top of the screen
- Type in your UEA username and password, and select Sign In
- At the top right of the screen select SCI Student Zone
Double check you have done all of above! Keep regularly checking your timetable and School Student Zones up to and during arrival week as sometimes things are added or rooms can change.