Physics is a multi-faceted discipline, covering themes as diverse as quantum physics, fluid mechanics, geophysics and chemical physics. The School is known for its diverse and cutting-edge teaching backed by pioneering research.
The Schools of Study at UEA teach thousands of undergraduate and postgraduate students each year across the four faculties of our campus in Norwich.
We’re looking forward to welcoming you to Physics.
If you haven’t already, check out our School pages on the UEA website.
Welcome to your Physics course. I am particularly excited to welcome all our Physics students into the School of Chemistry as this is the first year of our brand new Physics course.
My colleagues and I look forward to working with you, ensuring that you have all the support you need to be successful in your studies.
Your first week at UEA will be a busy and exciting one. You will meet many new people and there will be a lot of information to take in. To get the most from your first few weeks here I urge you to:
- Attend as many of the welcome events as you can. The Welcome Week has been designed to help you settle in as quickly as possible and you can find a mix of welcome, induction and academic events that we have planned for you by downloading the Welcome Week programme from the links below.
- Familiarise yourself with our IT systems. E:Vision, the SCI Student Zone on Blackboard and the UEA Portal are all critical to your time here. Take a look at the useful guide below on how to get started so you are ready to go as soon as you arrive.
- Take some time to familiarise yourself with both the University and the School’s commitment to equality and diversity.
- And most importantly speak to as many people as possible and ask questions! During your welcome week there will be opportunities to meet your Academic Advisor, your student buddy, the academic team and of course your fellow students.
I do hope you will enjoy being a student here and I wish you every success in your studies. I look forward to meeting you in person soon.
Professor Mark Searcey
Head of School
Once you receive an email confirming your place, follow the links to register online and set up your IT account, UEA username and password. You will need this to be able to access your personalised timetable information and gain access to the SCI Student Zone. This is our area for all Science students to find common and School only information, including module choice where relevant. It is an important reference area not only in your first few weeks but during all your time here at UEA.
Follow these instructions once you have registered online:
- Go to https://portal.uea.ac.uk
- Select BLACKBOARD from the 3 orange buttons towards the top of the screen
- Type in your UEA username and password, and select Sign In
- At the top right of the screen select SCI Student Zone
Physics has a tab called "Start of Year" with information that you will find helpful in your first few weeks at UEA. Do browse all of the other tabs as they are full of useful information too.
More information on registering online is available here
If you didn't find the answers you were looking for on the new students website, just fill in the box below with your enquiry and we will get back to you.