Living with a disability at university

Kate Snape talks about her experience living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy at university

Read It

A Disability is Defined by the Equality Act 2010

You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

This can include physical, sensory, mental health difficulties and chronic conditions, for example diabetes, in addition to autistic spectrum disorder and specific learning difficulties like ADHD and dyslexia. 

Declaring your disability  

There are 2 forms that it would be helpful for you to complete and send to

Information and Disclosure Form (all applicants)

Notification of Medical Condition (if relevant to you).

If you’ve already done this - great!  If you haven’t please do so as soon as possible.

  1. Student Support Induction

    Do you need adjustments for exams and/or your course? Do you want to find out what support is available for your wellbeing? Do you have a diagnosed or suspected disability or mental health condition?

    If so, come along to one of our talks, dates will be available here as soon as they are released.

    The Wellbeing Service

    The Wellbeing Service offers a professional, proactive and approachable service; providing a range of interventions for students encountering emotional, mental health and physical or learning difficulties while at UEA; enabling them to realise their potential and participate fully in their university lives and beyond.

    The Wellbeing Service is located in the Student Support Centre alongside other services that can help with a broad range of situations including finance, problems in residencies and academic challenges.

    For information about accessing the service while you are a student, please visit the University's Wellbing webpage.

    If you have any queries or you would like to arrange a meeting before you start, please email

  2. Visit our web pages

    For a summary of what we do, and anything else you should be thinking about, visit our 'Before you arrive' page. If you want more information, you might also find our Wellbeing and Disability pages useful.

If you have a disability that is likely to mean that you will need additional equipment, software or other support to help you with your studies or getting around the University, you may be able to apply for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) or equivalent. If you are unsure whether or not to apply, please email and we will advise. If you have applied and have your Study Needs Assessment report, please send this to as soon as possible.

If you haven’t applied before you arrive, make sure you bring your evidence with you so that we can advise you on what action to take.

If you are not eligible for the Allowance, because of the course you take or because you are an EU or overseas student, please contact to get in touch with Wellbeing adviser about your support and technology needs.

For more information visit the University's DSA webpage.

If you have any questions or concerns, please e-mail

Support with a disability and mental health at UEA visit these links. 

Campus accessibility - We are always improving accessibility around the campus. If you have specific requirements, email or call 01603 591898.



Ask us a question

If you didn't find the answers you were looking for on the new students website, just fill in the box below with your enquiry and we will get back to you. Admissions enquiries: or telephone +44 (0)1603 591515

This field is mandatory.
This field is mandatory.
This field is mandatory.