Download the checklist

Download the checklist to help you stay on track before you arrive

Read It


10 Things I've Learnt in My First Year by Katie Hardingham

10 Things I've Learnt in My First Year by Katie Hardingham

Read It

Before you arrive, you need make sure you have packed a few vital documents. If your passport has expired, or you haven’t seen your GCSE certificates in a while, now is the time to get it sorted.

Have a good look through the following documents that you might need to bring with you or arrange when you get here. Don’t forget to download the new student checklist

You must bring your passport if you are not a British Citizen or were born overseas. The UEA Student Visa Compliance Team will need to see the passports of all new European and international students. If you do not have a passport, a European national identity card will suffice. Please note that if you hold dual nationality, we will also need to check your documents so please bring both passports with you.

Certificates and transcripts

You need to bring the original certificates for the qualification that gained you entry to UEA. This will usually be your undergraduate degree or a Graduate Diploma course. If you are a Visiting or ERASMUS student we won’t need to see your certificates or transcripts.


Admissions requirements

You may need to bring other documents in order to register for your course. This might be proof of work experience, or something else you used in your application. Please check your admissions email now and make sure you have any documents requested.


Religious beliefs

If your religion means you don’t study or sit exams on any particular day, please put this in a letter to the Registrar and Secretary and bring it to your campus registration event. This is so we can plan your time carefully. 

Council Tax

As a full time student, you don’t have to pay Council Tax. If you’re in university accommodation, you don’t need to do anything. If you’re staying in private accommodation, you might need to give your landlord a Council Tax Certificate. After you have registered at the university, you can get one through the student portal. 


Fee payment documents

If you’re paying fees directly, you’ll need to bring the bank details of the bank account your fees are being paid from. If you’re paying using a tuition fee loan, bring your confirmation letter from the loans company.


Working while you study

Thinking of working while you study? Most employers will need you to prove who you are, so bring some ID with you. Your valid passport or birth certificate should be fine. You will also need proof of your National Insurance number (like your NI card or an old payslip). 

Medical registration

If you are studying at UEA for more than six months, it is university regulation that you register with a doctor. 

As soon as you have your full/confirmed campus address, you can register online with the University Medical Centre on campus via

Further details can be found on their website.

If you choose not to use the University Medical Centre, you still need to register with a doctor nearby. Please get in touch with your preferred practice now and find out how to register. And don't forget to give the name and address of your new doctor to the University Medical Centre in case of emergencies.


Disabled Students' Allowance

You will need to apply to Student Finance or NHS Bursaries for your Disabled Students' Allowance. Make sure you bring your evidence and Study Needs Assessment (DSA) if you have them. If you don't have any evidence or DSA assessment, don't worry – we will help you with the paperwork.

More information for students with disabilities.


Health Clearance Certificate

If your course requires a health clearance check, please bring the relevant documents. 


Visa Decision Letter

It is important to bring with you the decision letter that you will receive when your passport and 30 day travel vignette is returned to you, as you will need to use it to collect your Biometric Residence Permit within 10 days of arriving in the UK.


Documents used in your visa application

You will need to pack all the original documents you used when applying for your Tier 4 visa in your hand luggage. This includes, your CAS statement, bank statement or proof of finances, your qualification certificates and transcripts, any medical certificate including TB certificate if required, and remember that you will need any translations that you submitted with your visa application.


Working while you’re in the UK

If you are an international student on a Tier 4 visa, you could be eligible to work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full time during official University holidays. However, you must check the conditions of your visa as this may vary. You will need to provide identification documents when applying for work, which may be either your valid passport and visa or your EU identity card.