Living with a disability at university

Kate Snape talks about her experience living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy at university

Read It

A Disability is Defined by the Equality Act 2010

You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

Declaring your disability  

There are 3 forms that it would be helpful for you to complete and send to

Information and Disclosure Form (all applicants);

Notification of Medical Condition (if relevant to you);

Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (if relevant to you).

If you’ve already done this - great!  If you haven’t please do so as soon as possible.

Check your emails

If you have told us about a disability, you will receive an email from inviting you to send us information about your disability, and any additional support or services you are likely to need to assist you with your studies.

Visit our web pages

For a summary of what we do, and anything else you should be thinking about, visit our Before you arrive page. If you want more information, you might also find our Disability Team pages useful.

You may have already read Arriving at UEA on this site and found out about picking up your keys, getting emails set up or taking a tour of campus (if you haven’t, make sure you do!). Once those essentials are sorted, there are some extra things you should do… 

  1. Meet your Wellbeing Adviser

    All students with disabilities at UEA are given a Wellbeing Adviser. You can arrange an appointment in the Student Support Centre to meet with them. Alternatively, your Adviser may contact you to offer an appointment.

    If you are interested in meeting with a Wellbeing Adviser before you start, you can arrange a meeting by emailing


If you have a disability that is likely to mean that you will need additional equipment, software or support services to help you with your studies or getting around the University, you should apply for the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) from Student Finance England or NHS (depending on your course). If you are unsure whether or not to apply, please e-mail and we will advise. If you have applied and have your Study Needs Assessment report, please bring this with you to the Induction event and for your meeting with your supervisor(s).

Postgraduate research students who are funded by one of the UK Research Councils should contact to discuss the application process for DSA funding from your individual research council. If you haven’t applied before you arrive, make sure you bring your evidence with you so that we can advise you on what action to take.

If you are not eligible for the Allowance, because of the course you take or because you are an EU or overseas student, your Wellbeing Adviser will meet with you to discuss and determine your support and technology needs.

For more information visit

If you have any questions or concerns, please e-mail

Support with a disability at UEA: and

Campus accessibility - We are always improving accessibility around the campus. If you have specific requirements, email or call 01603 591898.

If you didn't find the answers you were looking for on the new students website, just fill in the box below with your enquiry and we will get back to you.


Admissions enquiries:
or telephone +44 (0)1603 591515


This field is mandatory.
This field is mandatory.
This field is mandatory.
This field is mandatory.