Have you just been assaulted? Are you safe? Have you just been assaulted? Are you safe?

If you feel you are still at risk or think that others may be at risk:

  • on-campus call Security on 01603 592222 
  • off-campus call the Police immediately on 999

Do you need urgent medical help for injuries?

  • call for an ambulance on 999 or Security on 01603 592222 
  • during the day you can go to the University Medical Centre
  • go to the Accident and Emergency department at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital by car or taxi.

Are you Safe?

If you are not at further risk find somewhere safe and warm as you may be in shock. Call someone you trust to be with you to support you. If you are not sure you want to involve your friends or family and you live in UEA accommodation, you can contact your Warden for support.

Who you can contact Who you can contact

24 Hour Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)

The Harbour Centre

Free support and practical help for men and women living in Norfolk who have been raped or sexually assaulted (including penetration) either recently or in the past. Whether you wish to report to the police or not, specialist staff are trained to help you make informed decisions about what you want to do next.

Call 01603 276381 or email contact@theharbourcentre.co.uk.

Find out more about The Harbour Centre online.

During Monday - Friday 09.00-17.00

The Student Support Service

You can to speak with an adviser by calling 01603 592761 or email studentsupport@uea.ac.uk.

Student Union Advice

Alternatively, if you will feel more comfortable speaking to an uea(su) Adviser in the first instance call 01603 593463 or email advicecentre@uea.ac.uk.

On Campus Out of Hours or University Closures. 

Wardens in Residences

Contact the duty Warden based on your hall of residence.

UEA Security

Call 01603 592352.

The Choice is yours The Choice is yours

You have options. The decision is yours. Whatever you decide, you will be supported.

You have options for support and on reporting the incident.

Whether you want to report it to the University and/or the police or not, remember it is your decision what you want to do with any report or disclosure you make. 

   > Get support and guidance within and outside the University

   > Report an Incident to the University  

   > Report an Incident to the Police

   > Delay your Report to the Police

   > Not Reporting to the Police

You can seek support from a number of sources at any time after the incident, even years later. It is ever too late to seek support. Any decisions will be yours and you will be respected and supported in your decision. You will not be judged and you will not be blamed.

Preserving Evidence Preserving Evidence

It can be important to preserve forensic evidence if you decide to report the incident to the police. To preserve evidence:

  • don't eat or drink - including any non-essential medicine
  • don't wash, including washing your hair
  • don't brush your teeth
  • don't smoke
  • don't go to the toilet or discard any sanitary towels or tampons if you are female
  • don't change or wash your clothes worn at the time of the incident
  • don't tidy up or remove any items the perpetrator touched
  • don't clean the area where the incident occurred
  • don't dispose of any used condom

It can also be useful to keep any possible evidence, such as mobile phone calls, text messages, voicemails, emails, photos, etc.

These steps may be very difficult and make you uncomfortable, but it will be important for forensic evidence to be preserved in case you decide to report it to the police at any time. Evidence can be preserved to be reported later when and if you decide to.