Its Never your fault Its Never your fault

Sexual assault can take many forms but refers to any unwanted sexual acts or activities, including but not limited to: rape, sexual abuse, sexual harassment, receiving sexual images and sexual exploitation.

Sexual assault can be committed by strangers or by someone you know, and can occur in a dating relationship or marriage. It can be experienced by people of any gender.


A person must give consent to participate in sexual activities and they must have the freedom and the ability to make that choice. During the course of the activity consent can be withdrawn at any time.

The legal implications of not obtaining clear, coherent consent before sex can be serious. Our ability to give consent can be reduced by factors such as drinking alcohol and/or taking drugs. Everybody has a responsibility to ensure their partner is free to, and has the capacity to, give consent.

Ask yourself:

  • Are you or your partner free to give consent?
  • Are you or your partner able to consent?
  • Someone who is drunk or high on drugs may be unable to consent
  • Someone who is unconscious, asleep or unable to communicate cannot give consent
  • Someone who has been threatened, blackmailed or pressured is not free to consent
  • Silence is not consent
  • Previous consent does not grant subsequent consent.

Consent Matters

Take the online couse Consent Matters on Blackboard to find out more about consent, how you can help others, and how you can improve your relationships with communication around sex.

Sexual Assault

If you, or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, please find below guidance to help you make an informed decision. Below is information about the options and support that is available.

The decision to report the incident to the police belongs to the person who has experienced the assault/incident. If you or your friend have been sexually assaulted you will not be pressured into contacting the Police. You will not be judged or blamed for your decision.

  • Go to a place where you feel safe: If you or others are in immediate danger, call 999 (police), if you are on campus you can also call Security on 01603 592222.
  • Call someone you trust to be with you and support you. This could be a friend or any of the following:
Mon – Friday 9am - 5pm  
Student Support Service 01603 592761
Human Resources 01603 593034
Advice (SU) 01603 593463
Out of hours  
UEA Security 01603 592222

They offer support, advice and information in a safe and confidential space on campus.

Deciding what to do next  

The decision is yours. Whatever you decide, you will be supported in your decision.

You may wish to report the incident immediately to the police:

  • In an emergency call 999
  • After the incident call 101 (non-emergency number)

If you do not wish to meet the police at your home, a confidential room on campus can be made available for you.

If you are unsure whether you wish to report the incident to the police, you can contact the Harbour Centre, a Sexual Assault Referral Centre. They will be able to take details of the incident, collect any forensic evidence and store these on your behalf if you later decide to make a police report.  The services provided by the Harbour Centre, are confidential and they can offer access to emergency contraception and on-going support from an independent Sexual Violence Adviser if you wish.

If you decide not to report the incident to the police, you can still access services at the Student Support Service, Human Resources, the Harbour Centre and other external agencies. If you need medical assistance, you can visit A&E at Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital or make an appointment with the University Medical Services if you are registered there.  

The Student Support Service have trained personnel that can provide free, confidential advice and support.

Whether you wish to access further support or not, we would encourage you to report all incidents to the University. You do not have to give your name, and if you wish to remain anonymous you can do so. 

The Harbour Centre also receive self-referrals and offer support to people who report historic incidents of sexual assault. 

Sexual Harassment

If you are receiving unwanted sexual images, inappropriate comments, unwelcome attention or sexual text messages (Sexting), support is available on campus or via external agencies.  It is the reporter’s decision if they wish to report these incidents to the police.  However, whether you decide to do this or not, you can access support, advice and information in a confidential and safe environment by contacting:

Mon – Friday 9am - 5pm  
Student Support Service 01603 592761
Human Resources 01603 593034
Advice (SU) 01603 593463
Out of hours  
UEA Security 01603 592222


We would encourage you to report all incidents to the University, you do not need to give your name if you do not wish to be contacted.

Listening Services

Nightline is a student-run, confidential and non-judgemental peer to peer listening support service that is available out of hours during term time. 01603 597158.

Norwich Samaritans offer a listening service via phone, email, text and face to face appointments at their Norwich-based centre. They can be contact on 01603 116 123.


Remember it’s never your fault