The University is changing its library system this year and, to ensure as smooth a transition as possible, there will be a change freeze for Talis from 15th July – 2nd August 2019.
No changes to Talis reading lists should be made between these dates, as Talis will be updating key parts of the system that link Talis through to other Library systems. Any changes made during the freeze may not work correctly, and would need to be redone.
The Talis Aspire Reading Lists system will be rolled over for the 2019/20 academic year and available for editing from Wednesday 8th May. All previously published reading lists for the 2018/19 academic year will be included in this process.
The Library will be rolling over reading lists directly into Published status on Talis. This will make them immediately available for linking to Blackboard and to any students wanting to get ahead with their reading. Please be aware that students may be planning to purchase material for the forthcoming academic year based on this reading list, so please update your reading list with any required changes as soon as possible, or contact email@example.com to add a note to your reading list indicating that it is not the final version for the 2019/20 academic year.
If you have new reading lists, or major updates to existing lists, (for Semester 1 and Year-long modules) that require book purchases, these need to be added and published a little earlier than usual – by the end of Sunday 14th July 2019.
After that time, any new or updated reading lists that are published during August and September will be checked on a ‘best efforts’ basis, which means that having all the books in stock for the start of semester cannot be guaranteed beyond that 14th July date.
We recognize that some people may not yet know which modules they are teaching until much later in the year. If this is the case, do not to worry if you can’t get your reading list published by the 14th July, but please provide information via Talis as soon as feasible after that. Please do not make any changes during the change freeze period, 15th July – 2nd August 2019.
You need to check your reading lists and make sure they are published. Reading lists for Semester 1 or Year-long modules need to be published by 14th July 2019 for the Library to ensure you’re your reading are available for the start of teaching.
- Go to http://libreading.uea.ac.uk, and log in. We strongly recommend using Google Chrome for working with Talis reading lists.
- Search for the module(s) you are teaching via the search bar. You can search by module code or title. Make sure the reading list has (2019/20) after its title. Alternatively, your reading lists may already be in the “My Lists” page on Talis, which is found in the black navigation bar at the top of the site.
- Click through to your reading list, and make sure you’re listed as the list owner. (If you’re not, go to Edit > Assign List Owner.)
- You can add the reading list to your “My Lists” page on Talis by clicking the “Add to My Lists” button in the top right corner.
- Review the items on your reading list, and make any changes needed for the 2018/19 content of your course. If you’re uncertain on how to edit or add items to a reading list we have a helpsheet with step-by-step instructions for updating your list, and is a range of helpsheet and videos on the Online Reading Lists Training and Support page if you have a more specific question. Alternatively, you can contact us at Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk for support or to organise a training session.
- Once you’re happy the list is up to date, go to Edit, and select “Publish” from the drop-down menu.
I can't find the 2019/20 version of my reading list
First check you're logged into Talis. You can log in via the "Log In" option in the top black navigation bar on Talis.
If you're logged in and still can't find your 2018/19 reading list, there are two main causes for this issue:
1) The 2018/19 version of your reading list is still in DRAFT and was never published. Only published reading lists are rolled over automatically. To fix this, you can update your 2018/19 DRAFT list to the latest time period by clicking on the Edit menu in your reading list, and selecting Copy. You can then change the time period to 2019/2020, then click Create List. Then you can review and edit your 2019/20 DRAFT before RE-PUBLISHING it once you are happy with it.
2) There is no reading list for the module in question. While a significant number of modules will have reading lists from previous years, not all modules will. To fix this:
a) if you think there should be a past list for the module, contact Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk
b) if you know there is not yet a list for the module, follow the instructions for creating a new reading list. We've got guidance on how to create a new reading list on our Get Started page, and we'd be happy to organise a training session on how to create a Talis list if you'd like some further help. Contact Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk if you've got any questions or would like to organise a training session.
I can't find my module
While the Talis system is regularly updated with information about the modules currently being run by UEA, there is a chance some new modules may be missing from the system. If you can't find your module on Talis, contact Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk and we'll get it added as soon as possible.
Now your reading list is live (i.e. PUBLISHED), you will be able to link it to your Blackboard course when your Blackboard course goes live.
- Go to the 2018/19 version of the Blackboard course for the module.
- Click on the “Reading List” link in the left hand menu of your Blackboard course. When done for the first time, this should prompt you with search bar to choose a Talis reading list to link to your Blackboard course.
- Select the relevant 2018/19 reading list, and click Save.
Any student now following this link in Blackboard will now be taken directly to your course’s reading list.
If you have any problems linking your reading list to Blackboard, please contact Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk.
If you're new to Talis, head over to our Get Started page for an introduction to the system. We’ve also got a range of online training resources for Talis, which can be found on our Help and Training page.
You can also contact Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk to book a 1-to-1 training session at a time convenient to you.
There are a few key dates for the Talis rollover.
Wednesday 8th May – Talis lists are rolled over for the 2019/20 academic year, and can be updated for the forthcoming academic year.
Sunday 14th July – Final date by which academics need to publish their Semester 1 and Year-long reading lists so the Library can order stock for start of 2019/20 teaching.
Monday 15th July to Friday 2nd August – Talis change freeze for Library system migration. Please do not make any changes to Talis reading lists during this period.
Monday 16th September – 2018/19 reading lists will be archived. If you need access to a 2018/19 reading list after this point, please contact Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk with details of the course and reading list in question.
Sunday 8th December – Final date by which academics need to publish their Semester 2 and beyond reading lists on the Library can order stock for the start of Semester 2 2019/20 teaching.