PUBLISHED Talis online reading lists from 2017/18 have been rolled over in preparation for the 2018/19 academic year. Unlike previous years, reading lists have been rolled over directly into ‘Published’ status on Talis. This will make them immediately available for linking to Blackboard and to any students wanting to get ahead with their reading.
Academic colleagues are asked to have Reading Lists for Semester 1 and Year-long module teaching published on the Talis Aspire system by 31 July 2018. This is to allow the library sufficient time to order new books and eBooks in time for the start of teaching. We will still accept reading lists published via the system all the way through to the start of the semester and beyond, but priority will be given on a ‘first come first served’ basis.
We recognize that some people may not yet know which modules they are teaching until much later in the year. If this is the case, do not to worry if you can’t meet this deadline, but please provide information via Talis as soon as feasible after that.
You need to check your reading lists and make sure they are published. Semester 1 and Year-long module reading lists need to be published by 31 July 2018. (Reading lists published after this date will still be reviewed by the Library, but we may not be able to source resources before the start of teaching for your module.)
1. Go to http://libreading.uea.ac.uk, and log in. We strongly recommend using Google Chrome for working with Talis reading lists.
2. Search for the module(s) you are teaching via the search bar. You can search by module code or title. Make sure the reading list has (2018/19) after its title.
3. Click through to your reading list, and make sure you’re listed as the list owner. (If you’re not, go to Edit > Assign List Owner.)
4. You can add the reading list to your “My Lists” page on Talis by clicking the “Add to My Lists” button in the top right corner.
5. Review the items on your reading list, and make any changes needed for the 2018/19 content of your course. If you’re uncertain on how to edit or add items to a reading list there are a range of helpsheets on the Online Reading Lists Training and Support page, or you can contact us at Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk to organise a training session.
6. Once you’re happy the list is up to date, go to Edit, and select “Publish” from the drop-down menu.
I can't find the 2018/19 version of my reading list
First check you're logged into Talis. Draft reading lists are only visible to logged in academic and library staff, to prevent students from accidentally discovering draft "work in progress" lists. You can log in via the "Log In" option in the top black navigation bar on Talis.
If you're logged in and still can't find your 2018/19 reading list, there are two main causes for this issue:
1) Your 2017/18 version of the reading list is still in DRAFT and was never published. Only published reading lists are rolled over automatically. To fix this, you can update your 2017/18 DRAFT list to the latest time period by clicking on the Edit menu in your reading list, and selecting Copy. You can then change the time period to 2018/2019, then click Create List. Then you can review and edit your 2018/19 DRAFT before RE-PUBLISHING it once you are happy with it.
2) There is no reading list for the module in question. While a significant number of modules will have reading lists from previous years, not all modules will. To fix this:
a) if you think there should be a past list(s) for the module, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
b) if you know there is not yet a list for the module, follow the instructions for creating a new reading list. We've got guidance on how to create a new reading list on our Get Started page, and we'd be happy to organise a training session on how to create a Talis list if you'd like some further help. Contact Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk if you've got any questions or would like to organise a training session.
I can't find my module
While the Talis system is regularly updated with information about the modules currently being run by UEA, there is a chance new module(s) may be missing from the system. If you can't find your module on Talis, contact Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk and we'll get it added as soon as possible.
Now your reading list is live (i.e. PUBLISHED), you will be able to link it to your Blackboard course when your Blackboard course goes live.
1. Go to the 2018/19 version of the Blackboard course for the module.
2. Click on the “Reading List” link in the left hand menu of your Blackboard course. When done for the first time, this should prompt you with search bar to choose a Talis reading list to link to your Blackboard course.
3. Select the relevant 2018/19 reading list, and click Save.
Any student now following this link in Blackboard will now be taken directly to your course’s reading list.
If you have any problems linking your reading list to Blackboard, please contact Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk.
If you're new to Talis, head over to our Get Started page for an introduction to the system. We’ve also got a range of online training resources for Talis, which can be found on our Help and Training page.
You can also contact Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk to book a 1-to-1 training session at a time convenient to you, or come to one of our weekly Talis Tuesdays drop-in sessions in the CTEL building from 2-4 PM every Tuesday afternoon.
There are a few key dates for the 2018/19 Talis rollover.
8th May 2018 – Talis online reading lists are rolled over for the 2018/19 academic year.
2nd July 2018 onwards – Digitised chapter scans will be rolled over for the 2018/19 academic year. Please note that these may not be visible until 1st September 2018 to comply with our CLA licence.
31st July 2018 – Deadline for publishing Semester 1 and year-long 2018/19 reading lists. List published after this point may not have resources in stock for the start of Semester 1.
Late August 2018 – 2017/18 reading lists will be archived. If you need access to a 2017/18 reading list after this point, please contact Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk with details of the course and reading list in question.
7th December 2018 – Deadline for publishing Semester 2 2018/19 reading lists. Lists published after this point may not have resources in stock for the start of Semester 2.