The Talis Online Reading Lists site will be getting updated user and editing interfaces on Monday 16th September 2019. These updated interfaces improve the student experience, and also make editing reading lists quicker and simpler for academic staff.
This page gives an overview of the benefits of the updated interface, a quick guide to naviagting it, and answers some frequently asked questions. For a more detailed guide, please see our helpsheet introducing the updated List View and List Edit interfaces.
If you don’t want to start straight way with the improved, easier to use editing tools you can still quickly access the classic list editing interface you are familiar with. To access the classic Edit List functions, go to the Edit menu in your reading list and chose the Edit list (classic) option
If you've got any questions or want to know more, please contact us at Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk.
Everything you need on one page
You can more easily see the details of reading list items, with a “click to expand” approach rather than being taken to a separate page for each item. This makes it easier to locate an item in the Library, see if it’s currently available, and make notes or update reading intentions for any item on a list.
Mobile device friendly
The new site layout scales to smaller screens, making it easier to access reading lists on the go and find the resources you need wherever you are.
Improved look and feel
The Talis interface has been enhanced to give it a better look and feel. Book jacket images are included to make it easier to find what you’re looking for on the shelves, and the layout has been improved to give a cleaner user experience. It’s also built with accessible technologies in mind, making reading lists available to as wide an audience as possible.
Report broken links (coming soon!)
While broken links are hopefully a rarity on a reading list, this new feature lets you easily let the Library know if you can’t access an online resource.
- List title.
- View & Export button. View recent changes to the list, or to export it to a variety of formats (CSV, PDF, RIS).
- Add to My Lists button. Add the list to your “My Lists” area on Talis.
- List owner’s name.
- Module code or codes the reading list is linked to appear here.
- Section header.
- Reading list resource. Click on the title to expand to see more details for this item.
- View Online button. Click here to access the linked electronic resource.
- List Edit menu. This gives you access to a range of editing options, including changing the list title and notes, adding new module codes, updating student numbers, inviting other colleagues to edit the list, manually requesting a Library review on your reading list, making a copy of your reading list and more. You can also access the classic list editing interface from here.
- Student numbers. This is the number of students enrolled on the linked module(s).
- Action Bar. The Action Bar appears when you hover your mouse over the reading list. It lets you add a new resource (from your existing Talis bookmarks, or searching a wider book database), paragraph (block of text), or section at that point on the list. Please note you will still need to use the Bookmark Button to add non-book items (journal articles, websites, etc.) to your reading list.
- Importance. You can click on this to set or change the importance category of an item.
- Move item. You can move an item on your reading list by clicking and dragging the double arrows to a new location. You can also use the cut and paste options in the section/item editing menu (see point 6 below) to move individual items or entire sections.
- Section/item editing menu. You can access item or section editing details here, letting you edit the details of an item, cut and paste it elsewhere in the list, delete an item, or access the functions of the Action Bar if using a touch screen device.
When is the updated interface being rolled out?
The updated List View and List Edit interfaces are going live on Monday 16th September.
Do I need to change my reading list for the updated interface?
No, all 2019/20 reading lists will automatically be updated to use the improved interface.
Can I swap my list to the updated interface early?
Absolutely. Get in touch with the Reading Lists team by emailing Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk to get your reading list switched to the updated interface ahead of the general rollout.
How do I edit my reading list?
Please see our helpsheet introducting the updated List Edit interface for a guide to get started. You can also still access the classic list editing interface via the Edit > Edit list (classic) option on your reading lists. If you need any help with editing your reading list, or would like to book a training sesssion, please email Lib.Reading@uea.ac.uk.
How do I access the Dashboard?
You can still view the Dashboard by going to the View menu in the top right of your reading list, and clicking on Analytics.