Absence Absence


Attendance is compulsory for timetabled events that are part of your course.

If you know you are going to be absent, please inform the University as soon as possible using the online absence reporting system available through e:Vision (step by step guide)

  • You will need to report the date(s) and reason for your absence. Online reporting will guide you when supporting evidence is required.

  • The reporting system also communicates your absence to the module organiser/lecturer, thus providing information needed for the School to support you.

Students may be subject to disciplinary action for absences recorded without a valid reason.

Absences do not affect the due date of your assessments unless they are a result of circumstances that also affect your ability to submit a piece of coursework by the due date. If this is the case, submit an Extenuating Circumstances Request via e:Vision.

For more detailed information, see regulation 13 of the University Regulations


Missing Exams/Course Tests/Presentations due to absence:

If you have missed an assessment due to absence, you should report this on the online absence reporting system as soon as possible. If you are absent for medical reasons you should visit your GP on the day of the assessment to get a medical certificate. Other reasons will also require relevant evidence.


Advance notice:

You can seek permission for an absence in advance using the online reporting system. For absences over two weeks, contact us at your Hub.


International Students:

If you are an international student and hold a Tier 4 Visa, it is important for the University to check that you are attending regularly as this is essential for ensuring your visa’s validity. Your absences from teaching sessions may be recorded and you may be asked to explain why you have not attended.


Students on a course that leads to registration with a professional body:

If you are registered on a course that leads to registration with a professional body (e.g. the Nursing and Midwifery Council) your school may have specific procedures regarding absences, particularly while on placements. Your School can give you further guidance.


Extended Absence/Interruption to Study:

If you have circumstances which are affecting your ability to study adequately for an extended period of time, you may need to take an approved period of interruption from your studies. This is called interruption to study. If you think you may need an interruption to study you should first discuss this with your Personal Adviser and then see someone from the Learning and Teaching Service, in your Hub to discuss your options. All Hubs have meeting rooms where you can talk to staff confidentially.