The University has a managed service contract with DTP Group to supply and install Hewlett Packard (HP) desktop and laptop PCs until 2019.
Key service features include:
- A 5 day a week installation service with a DTP engineer onsite full-time.
- 2 hour windows for installations
- Same day response to warranty calls raised before 14:00
- Buffer stock held onsite and offsite to shorten lead times
- Extended warranty agreements compared to consumer products
Choosing a device
The University has tested and approved a set of desktop and laptop devices that can be purchased. A buyer's guide provides details of the desktop and laptops available and their costs:
Desktop or laptop models not in the Buyer’s Guide have not been tested by UEA and may not be compatible with UEA systems. DTP have been instructed not to process orders for devices that are not in the Buyer’s Guide.
If you require a desktop or laptop not listed within the UEA Buyer’s Guide, please request this on the IT Service Desk portal, providing the following information:
- A brief outline of your requirements
- What it is you are trying to achieve
- What level of support you may require
- The specification of device that is recommended for the project, or role, that you are undertaking
Your email will be forwarded to our Business Relationship Manager for review. The more information you can provide us with the quicker we can help you with a purchase.
Exceptions can be granted if:
- You have an occupational health statement that supports the purchase of a different model
- DTP Group cannot meet the specific IT need of your project or role
- If you need a quote, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with your required device model or specification
- When you are ready to order, complete an Installation information spreadsheet and attach this to orders raised through ABW. The information in this spreadsheet is needed for booking installation appointments and invoicing purposes. Submitting this information with your order can help to speed up the delivery process.
- If you are purchasing a computer for a new member of staff who has not yet started at UEA, please also complete the Installation information spreadsheet and provide the details of a member of staff who will co-ordinate the installation process. Submitting this information with your order can help to speed up the delivery process.
- If you require a non-managed, ‘Off-campus’ build please state ‘Service Bundle 8’ on the purchase order. There are multiple services that an off-campus device cannot access and additional responsibilities that the user of the device, must accept. We strongly recommend that you contact us, via the IT Service Desk portal, for details of these.
Important Information - Intel® Processor Supply Issues (Feb 2019)
IT equipment suppliers are experiencing an ongoing global shortage of computer processors being manufactured by Intel®. As a result, some UEA orders placed with DTP Group, requiring processors that are ‘in constraint’ with Intel®, are subject to delivery delays of 3-4 weeks. DTP Group is working with HP and Intel® to try to acquire enough stock to meet our orders.
To help mitigate against this delay, UEA Purchasing are, at this time, allowing orders to be split to allow available equipment to be delivered to site, while we await equipment that is in constraint. We also advise submitting the end user details of new devices at point of order. This should help speed up the delivery process once equipment becomes available.
‘Fast Track’ - delivery and installation within 5-10 days available
Desktops and laptops are available for delivery and installation within 5-10 working days. To qualify for Fast Track, you must
- Select the base configuration
- Supply the user details (including installation location) when submitting your UEA Purchase Order – See Ordering Process below.
These devices are held in buffer stock.
‘Configured to order’ - delivery and installation timescales
If you upgrade a component on the device DTP Group will order the device from HP. The lead time from HP to DTP Group is 10-12 working days for desktops and 15-18 working days for laptops. The devices are then built with UEA software and DTP are ready to book an installation slot with you. Choose a Fast Track device if you need it quickly.
Installation and Support
Installations are carried out by a DTP Group engineer working to an agreed university process. Your new computer will be connected to the UEA wired network and you will be able to print to network printers. You will be shown how to access the UEA Application Catalogue so that you can download software that you need and will be able to access all files that have been stored on network shares. If you require any additional software, which IT Support has previously installed on your old device, installed on to your new device, please request this on the IT Service Desk portal.
Secure IT Equipment Recycling Service
The DTP Group engineer will dispose of your old device for you in line with UEA disposal procedures. The device will be securely held in ITCS for 2 weeks. After this, it will be securely transported to DTP Group’s storage unit for another 2 weeks. During this 4 week period you can request the device is returned to you. We will need the serial number of the device to locate it. Please request this on the IT Service Desk portal, including the serial number of the device.