Office 365 Email Encryption (OME) can be used by UEA staff and students to send encrypted emails to help protect confidential or sensitive content to recipients outside of the UEA. Emails are securely delivered to recipients and only they have the ability to view the email. Recipients can view the encrypted email using any email service such as Gmail and Yahoo. Please be aware that the following process will not activate for emails sent to @uea.ac.uk email address'.
Encryption is the process by which information is encoded so that only an authorized recipient can decode and consume the information.
Here’s how email encryption typically works:
- A message is encrypted, or transformed from plain text into unreadable ciphertext, either on the sender’s machine, or by a central server while the message is in transit.
- The message remains in ciphertext while it's in transit in order to protect it from being read in case the message is intercepted.
- Once the message is received by the recipient, the message is transformed back into readable plain text in one of two ways:
- The recipient’s machine uses a key to decrypt the message, or
- A central server decrypts the message on behalf of the recipient, after validating the recipient’s identity.
1. In the Subject field enter #ueaencrypt. You can still input a subject title in addition to this:
2. The email is now delivered to the recipient’s inbox just like any other email message, but it contains a HTML file attachment which they download:
3. After opening the attachment, the recipient can sign in with a Microsoft or Office 365 account or use a one-time passcode to view the message. If opening it from an non-Microsoft account they need to open the email using the one-time passcode:
4. This will send a passcode to the recipient’s email account which they will then copy and paste into the One-time passcode box:
5. The email will then be displayed in the web browser and can be replied to from there.
Further information can be found on the following Microsoft encryption pages:
Please be aware that encryption this does not prevent access to the email if the email is misdirected.
For any other queries regarding email encryption please contact the IT Service Desk who will be happy to assist.