Theft from cars parked at UEA is rare and it's even more unusual for cars to be stolen but it doesn't hurt to rule out the risk.
Top tips for car security:
- Always lock your car, even if you are only leaving it for a short period. Never leave the car unattended with the keys in the ignition!
- Use a steering lock that goes all around the wheel; we advise that you use a ‘Sold Secure' lock, e.g. the ‘Disk Lok'.
- Don't leave anything on display in your car – even if you know it is worthless a thief may not and may well break a window to find out. One of the most commonly stolen items from students' cars is sports bags containing just clothes!
- Do not leave valuables or bank cards/cheque books unattended in your car at any time (thieves will check the glove box and even possibly the boot!)
- Do not leave your vehicle documents in the car, as this will make it a lot easier for a thief to sell your car on. If you are stopped whilst driving by the police they will issue you with a notice which gives 7 days to produce your documents at a police station of your choice.
- Ensure you take out any removable audio equipment or Sat Nav systems – if you have a Sat Nav in addition to removing it you should also remove its holding and if attached to the windscreen make sure you wipe away any sign of where the rubber suckers were attached.