Frequently Asked Questions For New Arrivals Frequently Asked Questions For New Arrivals

I don't think my electricity is working?

If you think you have lost power it is advisable to check whether other sockets in the rooms have power. There may be other appliances affected or the problem may be isolated to one socket. Report any faults to the Estates Helpdesk.

What do I do if I lose my key or become locked out of my residences?

If you are locked out or lose your key during working hours you will need to attend the Accommodation Office. Outside of working hours you will need to attend the Security Lodge. Lost Campus cards can be replaced at the Library from 9.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

My hob will not work and my toaster will only toast on one side?

Hobs in Nelson Court, Colman House, Britten House, Paston House, Victory House, Kett House, Browne House, Hickling House, Barton House and Crome Court will only heat up once the extractor fan switch on the wall has been pressed in. This activates a 30 minute timer. After this the hobs will turn off until the extractor button is pressed again.

Hobs in Norfolk Terrace, Suffolk Terrace, Suffolk Walk, Orwell, Wolfson Close and Constable Terrace have an on/off switch for their cookers.

If you are having problems with toasters only toasting on one side there is a button the toaster which switches the appliance from two slice selection to four slice selection.

My room is too cold/too warm what do I do?

If you live in residences where there is an electric heater you may need to switch both switches on. These can be found at the socket on the wall and the unit itself (sometimes the button on the heater is underneath).

If you live in residences with a radiator you will need to contact the Estates Helpdesk if you are experiencing problems.

Please be advised there are heating guidelines which residential buildings follow. There is a procedure for monitoring temperatures in residences which will be followed before remedial work is done.

My wifi is not working?

For all issues regarding Wifi and Ethernet in your residences you will need to contact the IT helpdesk.

I'm having problems with the Laundrette on Campus - what do I do?

The laundry facilities on Campus are operated and maintained by Circuit. If you are reporting problems with the machines you will need to contact them either by telephone (01422 820026) or visiting

What can I tip down the kitchen sink?

Pouring food waste or coffee grounds down the sink will cause your kitchen sink to block. Instead please use the bins provided by the cleaning teams.

My mattress is uncomfortable. Who can I contact?

You will need to contact your housekeeper if you have issues with the mattress in your room or the desk chair provided.

Have a look at how you can contact your cleaners here.

I don’t think my fridge is working properly?

If your fridge is too full the convection currents which cool the food will be unable to circulate. This can lead to build up of ice at the back of the fridge and mean the temperature will be food will stay warm.

Removing non-essential items from the fridge will help the fridge to stay cool. If your freezer is not working properly it is advised that after reporting the fault you refrain from opening the freezer to prevent food from spoiling.

What are working hours for maintenance and cleaning staff?

Working hours for maintenance staff are between 8AM and 4:15PM. If you have reported a fault to the Helpdesk and a job has been logged you can expect maintenance staff to attend between those hours.

The necessary repair will be carried out in accordance with an agreed schedule of priorities however the earlier in the working day you report a fault to the Estates Helpdesk the better.

How will maintenance staff access my room?

Maintenance staff can enter your flat or room with their own keys, but they will knock before entering bedrooms.

If Maintenance staff have entered your room while you are out, they will leave a card to let you know. Sometimes UEA maintenance will use contractors. They will follow the same access protocols

When will the cleaners clean my flat and remove my rubbish?

You can check which day your shower pod will be cleaned by looking at the noticeboard in your kitchen. It is best to remove personal items from the shower pod so the cleaning staff can clean your room properly.

The recycling waste bin in your room will be emptied each weekday. The bins in your kitchen will be emptied twice weekly when the communal areas are cleaned.

If the kitchen bin becomes full before it is due to be emptied, you should tie up the bin liner and place it next to the bin. 

Replacement bin liners will be provided.  Please do not leave anything in the bin or in a bin liner/plastic bag close to the bin which you do not want to have thrown away.

How do I dispose of my waste and rubbish?

Please be advised that each bin is labelled with items suitable for disposal.

Residents may also refer to the large blue poster in each kitchen regarding waste disposal and recycling.

  • Glass items should be disposed of in the large black glass recycling bins outside residences.
  • The recycling bin (with green bin liner) should only contain clean paper, card, plastic and tin.
  • Food waste (no liquids or packaging) should be placed in the brown food waste bin.
  • General waste (ie items not included above) should be placed in the general waste bin (with black bin liner).

For further information see our Waste and Recycling Management pages.