A consultant team has been appointed for the concluding Phase 3 of the Earlham Hall regeneration with discussions on-going with the planners and Historic England.
The development will deliver a single storey extension to accommodate 10 new members of staff and the new Law Clinic. Also included will be the landscaping of the courtyard, repairs to the smaller outbuildings and the provision of cycle racks.
The project aims to commence February 19th 2018 and complete by September 14th 2018. Planning & listed building application to Norwich City Council submitted 29th September 2017. Cost and Programme on track.
A £2.2m investment in the refurbishment of the stable block and courtyard area. Due to the age and condition of the structure, this was a particularly complex project, requiring considerable structural strengthening works.
The project delivered additional teaching and meeting room space and includes an accessible lift.
In 2012, refurbishing work began on Earlham Hall and its Courtyard to bring them back into use for University purposes and to improve public access. The Earlham Hall and Courtyard plans followed the preparation of, and are in accordance with, a Vision and Development Document (VADD) for the Earlham Hall area, which was endorsed by Norwich City Council in October 2011.
Earlham Hall is a grade II* listed building located within Earlham Park and is adjacent to the main UEA campus. The area comprises Earlham Hall and its courtyard/outbuildings; the former Sheltered Horticultural Employment Scheme (SHES) site (the former nursery garden and glasshouses) and the former works depot. Adjacent to the area is a public car park and parts of Earlham Park directly linked with the Hall, such as the formal gardens.
Earlham Hall is an historic building of national importance associated with prisoner reformer Elizabeth Fry (1780-1845) and the former residence of locally important figures, such as Waller Bacon, son of Francis Bacon. The manor passed through a number of families in the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century one of which was responsible for much of the extensive remodelling such as the creation of the east-west range with cross wings.
The refurbishment consisted of structural repairs to timber framing, dismantling of the masonry course-by-course with each brick labelled for re-building in the same location. 95% of the bricks were re-used and mortars carefully matched to the existing. Services to the building were extensively renewed to incorporate UEA district heating intended to serve the hall, further reducing energy usage.
The thermal performance of the building wherever possible was improved to comply with building regulations. Where opportunity existed to re-roof, new roofs were installed with a vented insulated deck or warm roof construction. Windows repairs were carried out and thermal improvement made via new brush seals alongside the installation of underfloor insulation.
A new entrance was designed to improve vertical access while being DDA compliant. Zinc cladding was used to provide a low maintenance solution with a robust finish. Glazed roof construction provides needed natural light and makes for a welcoming space for users and visitors alike.