Top 10 FAQs Top 10 FAQs

Top 10 FAQs

Where can I find a room or place on campus?

Please use the interactive campus map to locate a building on campus. The Room Booking Office deals with all ad hoc and teaching room booking requests that require a central pool room.

I'm organising an event, e.g. a charity event, who do I need to contact?

The Campus Support team will provide permissions for an event, see the Organising Events and Activities section. You may want to consult the UEA Events pages also to see what is already planned.

I am a student, where am I allowed to park?

Undergraduates and postgraduate taught students are not issued with parking permits and are not allowed to park on University grounds between 7am and 2pm. Students may park after 2pm as visitors in the Main Car Park paying visitor parking fees. Postgraduate research students are eligible to apply for parking permits. Please see our Parking for Students page for more information.

I need spare furniture for my office, where do I get this from?

The Space Management team are responsible for recycling and reallocating university furniture. We also have a 'furniture re-use scheme'. Please contact Space Management for more details.

Where can I find up-to-date bus timetable information?

Up to date travel information can be obtained from the First buses and konectbus websites, the main providers of bus services to campus.

Where are the cycle parking locations?

You can view cycle parking locations on our cycle parking map or see our cycle pages for more information.

Where can I get building plans/floor plans?

Building floor plans can be requested from the Space Management team.

Where can I find opening hours of services outside of term time?

Please see our opening hours page for details or see individual websites for details.

Are there any showers on campus?

Yes, we have a map of where showers are located. In summary, there are showers in the following buildings:

- The Registry
- Queens Building
- Medical School
- ZICER Building
- Thomas Paine Study Centre
- Edith Cavell Building

Travelling to university and public transport

Travel and transport FAQs   

How do I report a traffic violation?    

If you have seen a vehicle on campus violating the University's Vehicle Regulations, either in it's manner of driving or parking, please do not hesitate to contact the Security Lodge telephone 01603 59 (2352) or email:

Car Sharing FAQ's    

How do I find someone to share with?  

The University has a database where you can register your journey and find others who may be travelling in your direction. You can also use notice boards, discussion boards (electronic and physical) or advertise in news sheets, magazines etc. Tell those around you you are seeking someone to share with as they may know someone who lives on your route.
How do we "share" the cost of parking within our group?    

The University is keen to allow each SmartShare group to decide how it will arrange payment for parking; for example you may choose to alternate between campus (swipe) cards in the same way you alternate between vehicles or you may choose to determine the cost of parking for a period of time e.g. month and divide this between the group. On days when you are not sharing you will now be charged for parking at your own individual rate, so the more you share the more you will save.
I would like to share but for personal reasons am unable to, if car sharers have priority spaces won't this make it more difficult for me to park?    

Any reduction in the number of cars on campus will improve the availability of car park space. A single priority car share space could encourage up to 3 cars to be left at home and therefore release space to those who cannot share. If we assume that 10% (300) of car permit holders sign up for the scheme and share with just one other person the reduction in cars will be 175 cars per day or 150 unused car park spaces. As car share drivers may need to be more flexible with their travel times it is important that they are able to park on arrival at the University and therefore priority parking is an important element of the scheme.
I am not eligible, how do I appeal?

Exceptions: Staff applicants who are not automatically eligible for the scheme may make an appeal to the Transport Coordinator whilst Student Applicants may appeal the Student Parking Permit Appeals Panel.  Whilst each appeal will be considered on its own individual merits applications should demonstrate:

  • evidence of journeys being made separately over a period of three months
  • where the appeal is from applicants from the same address, evidence that significant changes have been made to enable sharing to take place for example a change in work hours
  • other evidence as appropriate.    

I will occasionally be unable to travel as part of the pool and will need to arrive as a lone driver, how will I be able to access the campus and park my car?   

The UEA understands that sometimes members of the pool will need to bring their cars for personal or work related travel and assumes that this situation will occur infrequently, you are expected to share at least 80% of your journeys. Where members of car pools appear to require more regular access, the car pool membership will be withdrawn and driver asked to return to the current parking scheme. If you drive to campus as a lone driver you will be charged the appropriate daily charge based on your charge band. As a lone driver you should not use the car share parking spaces.
What if my only other car pool driver no longer wants to be part of the pool?

Designated parking is only available to car pools with more than one driver. If you return to being a lone driver you will need to return your permit and move to an ordinary Group A permit.
What do I do regarding Insurance?  Should I contact my insurers?  

The Association of British Motor Insurers has agreed that ride sharing should not increase the cost of your policy or affect the level of cover as long as there is no element of profit. A statement from the Association of British Insurers appears below. You are strongly advised to let your insurance company or broker know that you are ride-sharing. A pro-forma letter is included for you to complete and forward to them. If you encounter any difficulties with your company, please let the Transport Coordinator know.
What if my driver has to leave early due to illness or has to unexpectedly work late?  

It is rare for this type of situation to occur however if it does and you hold a ""SmartShare"" permit, the UEA will ensure you get home either with an alternative lift, public transport, staff transport or as a last resort a taxi. If public transport or a taxi is required the University will pay the cost.

The following advice should be followed in this situation:

  • If your driver leaves early your Manager may be willing to allow you to leave early as well. Please check if this is an option.
  • Check the public transport journey planner at the SmartShare site or at for public transport options (a link has been provided for your convenience). Please e-mail the Transport Co-ordinator, to let her know how you will be travelling and keep any tickets/receipts for reimbursement of fares. You will be sent a form on which to claim your travel expenses.
  • If there is no other means of transport available, please use a taxi. Once again, please e-mail the Transport Co-ordinator with the details and ensure you have a receipt for reimbursement of fare. You will be sent a form on which to claim your travel expenses.

Can I accept a payment towards the cost of a journey?  

  • As a SmartShare driver you can accept a contribution towards the cost of the journey but most scheme members take a more pragmatic approach alternating between vehicles to share the cost and wear & tear. Bear in mind most passengers will want to make some contribution but if you want to avoid the wrath of the taxman you must not make a profit.
  • To help you decide how much the contribution should be, we offer the following guidance:
  • The motoring organisations suggest the cost per mile for journeys ranges from 23p to 31p per mile for a small car. Given that the journey would take place even if it were not shared, a contribution of up to 13p per mile. Remember, where there is more than one passenger this amount must be divided equally between the passengers and not charged individually. For longer journeys it may be better to charge a set sum rather than a mileage rate.
  • If you are operating as a car pool you need only consider sharing the cost of the parking permit between the drivers

Public Transport  

Who do I complain to if my bus is late?    

First Bus welcomes comments and complaints about their services and use these to monitor performance and identify areas for improvement. Full details of the Customer Care Code of Practice and how your complaint will be dealt with can be found on the First web site. You can contact First by phone, letter, e-mail or via the website.

By Phone: 08456 020 121 (08.30 - 17.00  Monday - Friday)
Letter or Fax:  Write to: Customer Services, First, Traveline Shop, 17 - 19 Castle Meadow, Norwich, NR31 3DH or fax your letter to: 01603 285000

I live in a rural area and do not receive regular, frequent bus services yet the UEA has a service every 10 minutes. Why is this?

The Government has through the Rural White paper (Dec.99) made a commitment to improving rural transport services. Parish Councils can apply for a grant of up to £10,000 to provide transport services and the Rural Transport Partnership fund which helps communities find solutions to their transport problems was also increased. Additional money has also been made available to the Rural Bus Challenge Competition, which provides grants for new and innovative rural transport schemes. Only Norfolk County Council can enter this competition but are always happy to explore ideas suggested by the public.
Can I take my bike on the train or buses in Norfolk?      

Greater Anglia welcomes bicycles on all local and mainline services.  Although it is advisable to reserve a space in advance (reservations are free) it is also possible to turn up and travel with your bike subject to space being available. Ticket holders receive the benefit of the unique Anglia/ETA cycle recovery scheme - if your cycle breaks down or is stolen in the Anglia area you will be recovered and taken to the nearest station. Anglia Railways holds a Cycle Mark. Please visit the Anglia website for ore details.

The Bittern Line service connecting Norwich to Sheringham via the coast and Broads also welcomes cyclists. Cost per cycle is £1 but this includes a free cycling guide to the area. Unfortunately, buses in Norfolk are not so welcoming to cyclists and therefore you will not be able to travel with your bike on bus services in Norfolk.

Living on the campus

Do you have facilities for recycling or disposing of waste oils (such as frying / cooking oil) on campus?    

There is a waste oil containment unit next to the metal skip behind the Estates building. The waste is collected by a specialist treatment company. You can also find information on our Waste and Recycling pages.

Can I bring an electrical item with me when I start at the University?

You may use your own electrical equipment as indicated in the Terms and Conditions of the License but the appliance must be correctly connected to the plug and fitted with the appropriate fuse. International students should be aware that equipment brought into this country may not be safe for immediate connection. If you have any doubts about the safety of your own equipment, University Safety Service will advise you (extension 2763). See the Accommodation pages 'Living in Residences' for more information.

In relation to PAT testing, the UEA doesn't PAT test personnel items as a rule, but exceptions may be made for items such as medical equipment, any queries contact the Helpdesk.

The university grounds

Where can I find a map of the campus?

We have a page on useful maps but please contact us at if there is something you cannot find.

Can I have a barbeque on campus?    

The University has a number of fixed BBQs on campus by the UEA Broad which may be booked by UEA staff and students. To use please complete the BBQ booking form.

I am interested in coming to fish at the broad/lake. Can you confirm if I need a license to do this and any associated costs or can I just turn up and fish?

You will need to contact UEA Angling Club at to request a permit.

Is there anywhere that informs staff and students about where at the university is gritted?

The Estates Grounds Team have a policy on gritting and snow clearance.

Who do I need to speak to about filming permissions?

Please see our filming at the UEA pages.

Who can I contact at UEA about lost property?

Please contact Security either by calling on 01603 59 2352 or visiting The Lodge.

Maintenance and current building works

Who should I contact about a hazardous issue on campus?    

In an emergency please contact UEA Security in the Lodge on their 24 hour helpline: 01603 592222.
You can also contact the Estates Helpdesk on  01603 592121 (ext: 2121) or email:

Where can I find information on tenders and opportunities?    

For information on any current opportunities at the university please contact the Customer Services team at