Frequently asked questions and relevant documentation Frequently asked questions and relevant documentation

Can I use a DBS check I have from elsewhere for my course at the UEA?

We are unable to accept any Disclosures completed from other organisations. Our office must process an Enhanced Disclosure for every student who requires one for their course. This is to fulfil the contractual requirements the UEA has with its placement partners.

I already subscribe to the DBS Update Service. Will that excuse me from another DBS check?

Please call our office to discuss whether we can use the Update Service to complete the DBS check for your course.

I have not received any emails to begin/continue my DBS application.

Please contact our office to enquire about this. Be aware that any emails from the University could be incorrectly sent to your SPAM/JUNK folder, especially for non-UEA email accounts.

I do not have a document that confirms my current address. What can I do?

Please contact our office for guidance on what steps you should take in this circumstance. As per government regulations, one document must confirm your current UK residence at the time of your application, even if this is your term-time residence.

I do not have a 'Group 1' document. What can I do?

Please contact our office to discuss your options. Of the limited application routes available for a DBS check, the easiest and simplest requires a 'Group 1' document. There are alternatives, but they are time consuming; especially to anyone who has lived in multiple addresses or outside of the UK.

My name has changed since birth. What documents should/can I use?

All submitted documents must reflect your current legal name. The only exception is your birth certificate, but in this case you must also provide any associated deed polls, marriage certificates, or divorce paperwork so that all official name changes are clear.

My certificate has been issued but has not arrived, what do I do?

Please contact our office first to confirm your application status and to be told your tracking reference number. After that, you must contact the DBS on 0870 90 90 811 to request the certificate's reissue.

What happens if any convictions are shown on my Enhanced DBS Disclosure?

Each school of study has its own policy for dealing with any convictions highlighted in an Enhanced DBS Disclosure. A very limited number of staff are made aware of the results in order for them to make a decision relating to your admission or continuation on the course.


The following documents are available to download for reference:

Privacy Statement

Statement of Fair Processing

Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders

Secure Storage, Handling, Use, Retention & Disposal of Disclosures

Overseas Police Check Policy