Staff FAQs

I’m a member of staff from the EU do I have a right to stay?

Yes. There will be no change to the immigration status of EU staff and their families living in the UK by 31 October 2019, and EU citizens have until at least 31 December 2020 to apply through the EU Settlement Scheme. EU nationals who already live in the UK, or who arrive by 31 October 2019 will be able to apply for 'pre-settled' or 'settled status'. Once settled status has been awarded this will enable EU citizens to live, work and study in the UK for as long as they like, with the ability to leave the UK for up to five years without endangering their settled status. The Settlement Scheme fully opened on 30 March 2019.

EU citizens who have already been in the UK for five years and can evidence that will be granted settled status. EU citizens who have lived in the UK for less than five years will be granted pre-settled status until they reach the five-year residency requirement. Those EU/EEA nationals with permanent residence will be able to convert their permanent residence status into the new settled status free of charge, subject only to verification of identity, a criminality and security check and proof of ongoing residence.

Do I have a right to stay if there is no deal?

The government has published a policy paper on citizens' rights in the event of a no deal. It confirms that even if no deal between the UK and the EU is reached, the EU Settlement Scheme will continue to be implemented, enabling EU citizens and their family members living in the UK by 31 October 2019 to secure their status and continue to be able to work, study, and access benefits and services in the UK on the same basis after UK's exit from the EU as they do now. The application deadline will be 31 December 2020 in the event of no deal.

Do I have a right to stay if I’m from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland?

The government has reached agreements with governments of EEA countries (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) and Switzerland about the rights of their citizens. These are broadly in line with those negotiated for EU students and citizens. Nationals of these countries will be able to guarantee their rights in the UK through the EU Settlement Scheme. The Political Declaration commits to negotiating mobility arrangements for researchers and scientists in a UK/EU trade deal. 

I’m due to arrive after 31 October – if there’s no deal do I have a right to stay?

The government has confirmed there will be different arrangements for individuals coming to the UK after 31 October 2019 to work or study. Details of these changes are currently being developed and will be published by the Government shortly. 


What does settled status mean?

You would be able to stay in the UK in any capacity. You would have access to healthcare, benefits, pension, social security on a similar basis to British nationals. If you are outside of the UK for more than five continuous year you lose ‘settled status’.

What do I need to prove to qualify for settled status?
You need to prove your identity – through an EU passport or NI card and upload a photo; you need to prove your continuous residence through an NI number, or P60 form, or bank statements or utility bills; and you need to declare you are not a serious or persistent criminal who would pose a threat to security.

I may want to travel outside of the UK, would that risk my continuous residence?

Your continuous residence can be broken if you are absent from the UK for six months or more in any year; however this does not apply if you were absent from the UK on military service or if you had a single period of absence not more than 12 months for a valid reason – i.e. pregnancy, childbirth, serious illness, study or vocational training, overseas posting or other ‘important reasons’.

I'm going to be driving in Europe, what do I need to do?

If there is a no deal Brexit, International Driving Permits (IDP) may be required for people intending to drive in EU countries after 28th March 2019 according to the latest Government advice.  Post Offices offering the IDP service can provide information on IDP requirements before 28th March 2019.

As well as an IDP you may also require a ‘green card’ as proof that your vehicle is insured. Please check the Government vehicle insurance advice. Your insurance provider should be able to issue you with a green card.  

Do I need to check my travel insurance?

If you have not already sourced travel insurance for your time abroad and are looking to purchase insurance, please be mindful that most travel insurance policies will not cover you where you have already started your trip and are outside of the UK.  We are unable to recommend a policy that is suitable for your specific needs however we are aware of a provider called who may be able to help you where you have already left the UK.