Please be aware that you can't leave bags with us so bear this in mind before you turn up to work.
No matter what your role, you need to know the following info before you work:
Signing in and out
- Please sign in at Thomas Pane Study Centre and sign out at either the LCR or our office in Lawrence Stenhouse Building (LSB) 0.20 (excludes all roles based in Edith Cavell Building who will be signing in and out with their ECB area lead).
- Once you have signed in with us and had a briefing, please don't forget to report to your area lead so that they know you are there!
- Please make sure you're on time!
- We will provide you with a Student Guide T-shirt, which you need to return at the end of your shift. If you are a Student Ambassador, please don't bring your Ambassador T-shirt; we will provide you with a Student Guide T-shirt.
- Wear comfy shoes - all of your roles will involve a lot of walking and standing.
- You can wear casual clothes and shorts in hot weather but be sensible about it - you are at work so please dress appropriately!
- We'll also provide you with a name lanyard. Please return these at the end of the day.
Weather appropriate clothing is always a good idea...here's some obvious but essential tips:
- If it's sunny make sure you wear sun block and reapply throughout the day. Drink plenty of water too.
- If it's raining, we'll provide hoodies and jackets for you.
And yes, the Open Day still happens in the rain so please turn up to work!
- If you're working more than 6 hours, you get a lunch break - we will send you details of this before you work.
- Those of you who don't get a lunch break, feel free to bring snacks with you and eat these subtly throughout the day.
Not showing up to work
Helping to pack down your area
You might have a role where you are based in an area with a lot of equipment or you might be asked to help pack down somewhere else across campus. Just to warn you, this is part of your role as a Student Guide. All members of staff will be packing down equipment too so please help if you are asked.
Remember to be sensible - work in pairs to move furniture and lift heavy items. If you are unable to lift anything or you cannot physically help pack down, please let your area lead know.
As well as the role briefings which can be found in the Role Docs above please read through this Useful Information document.
Please be aware that there is various building work around campus, visit this link to find out more.