Suggestions for what to pack (and what not to pack) Suggestions for what to pack (and what not to pack)

Our general advice when packing would be to think of your stay in residences as an extended trip, and don't bring too much! Storage space is limited, both in your room and in the kitchen. Try not to bring expensive items, especially if you're going to store them in the kitchen.

Below is a check list of essentials to either bring with you or buy in your first few days. We have also included a list of some things which are not allowed in residences. For full details, please refer to our terms and conditions.

Packing List Packing List

  • Bedding - Bedding is not provided, unless you have pre-ordered it, so bring a sheet to cover the mattress, plus a duvet or warm cover, and pillows. Information about bed sizes can be found on our comparison chart. You can order a bedding pack before your arrival from UniKitOut and this will be delivered to your room (if items are ordered before the deadline). Other items such as pans, plates and towels can also be ordered from UniKitOut.
  • Towels and toiletries - These are not provided, but if you forget your toothbrush the UEA SU Shop on campus stocks a range of toiletries and towels.
  • Clothes and shoes - Bring some favourites, but don't forget that there are plenty of great shops in Norwich.
  • Books for your course - Shelf space is limited so just bring the books you need or can't bear to be without. There is a branch of Waterstones on campus and several large shops in Norwich that you can buy books if you want to after you have arrived.
  • PC/Laptop/Tablet - You will need your own PC, laptop, or tablet if you want to use the network connection in your room. You can also access 24-hour computing in the Library IT suite, plus there's plenty of computing facilities available during the day right across campus.
  • Other Electrical Equipment - Electrical items you may wish to have in your room include an iron (ironing board provided in your flat), hairdryer, or shaver. You may wish to wait until you arrive before buying electrical items for the kitchen as flats can often end up with multiple kettles, irons and rice cookers. Some electrical items are not allowed in residences, and in particular items such as a fridge, microwave, mini-oven/grill, are strictly prohibited. If in any doubt, please check with us first.
  • Kitchen Equipment - You'll need some pans, kitchen utensils (including a chopping board and knife), some crockery (plates, bowls, mugs) glasses and cutlery. 
  • Bike - A bike is a convenient method of transport around Norwich, and there are some great second-hand shops to buy the perfect "getting around" bike. There are plenty of areas to lock up your bike close to the residences, but please note that bikes are not allowed anywhere inside the residences. There is also a 'Dr Bike' service on campus for bike checks and repairs. This is located next to Nelson Court
  • Insurance - All students in an individual study bedroom will be automatically covered by the UEA block insurance. This offers basic insurance cover which can be upgraded through Endsleigh if required 

Items that are not permitted Items that are not permitted

  • Soft furnishings such as easy chairs, bean bags and floor cushions are a potential fire risk and are not permitted in residences.
  • Net curtains are not permitted.
  • Fridges are a potential fire risk and if too many were installed in residences could overload the electrical circuitry. Accordingly residents are only allowed a mini-fridge in their room on medical grounds. Permission must be obtained from the Accommodation Office in advance.
  • Heaters are a serious fire risk and are not permitted in residences.
  • Candles are a serious fire hazard and must not be brought into any part of the residences. University staff will confiscate any candles found - even if they are decorative and you do not intend to light them.
  • Pets are not allowed in residences: this includes fish, insects, and any other form of animal life.
  • Firearms, fireworks or other weapons (including air guns, fencing and archery equipment) are not permitted in residences.
  • Too many posters in a bedroom constitute a fire hazard, and we don't allow fabric to be hung in bedrooms for the same reason. Have a look at the Terms and Conditions regarding posters and fabrics, and bear this in mind when decorating your room.
  • Cars car-parking is heavily restricted on campus, and you will only be able to obtain a parking permit in exceptional circumstances. Residential areas around the University also have restrictions on parking, so you are advised not to bring a car with you. For more information, go to the UEA Travel Plan Website.
  • Smoking Pipes - Please do not bring any form of smoking pipe into the residences even if they are purely for decorative purposes. All forms of smoking are banned in all areas within UEA Accommodation.

Advice for International Students Advice for International Students

  • Remember that you will have to carry your luggage at some point, so pack only as much as you can carry. We are unable to store luggage in advance or after you leave. It's a good idea to buy basic kitchen and electrical items in Norwich. These can either be sold or given to charity when you leave. Some residents prefer to wait until they're here so that they can buy items together as a flat (i.e. a 'flat kettle' for the kitchen). There is usually a pots and pans sale at the Student Union in September.
  • Pack any valuable items and documents in your hand luggage. Label your luggage clearly with your full name and address at UEA.
  • Weather in East Anglia is changeable, and you should prepare for rainy conditions in Autumn, and cold weather in Winter.

Electrical Equipment Electrical Equipment

The electricity supply in the UK is 240 volts with a frequency of 50 Hertz. Make sure that your electrical appliances are connected to a British 3-pin plug fitted with a 13-amp fuse. Electrical equipment should be PAT tested to make sure it is safe to use. If you have any further queries about electrical appliances, please contact the University Estates department.