private housing in Norwich private housing in Norwich

After the Christmas holidays in your first year, you should start thinking about securing accommodation for your second year. Most students will have to find private accommodation for themselves, and living in a student house in Norwich is one of the defining experiences for UEA students.

There are several important differences between accommodation in the private sector and living in student residences:

  • Most rooms are in houses which share bathroom facilities, although you will find some en suite options.
  • Utilities are not usually included in the rent, and residents are responsible for dealing with utility providers. Some bed-sits and rooms with resident landlords come inclusive of utilities.
  • You will have a different type of contract, a tenancy agreement. The minimum length of the tenancy agreement will be 6 months but 10, 11 or 12 month agreements are most common for student accommodation. When you sign a contract you will likely have to pay a deposit or provide a guarantor.

Help with Private Housing Help with Private Housing

Homerun Logouea(su) run a housing service called Home Run who produce a free House Hunting Guide and hold up-to-date listings of available accommodation throughout the year. They also host Housing Socials to help students meet prospective housemates.

In addition to this advice(su) offer advice about housing and contracts.