We have prepared a few answers to questions we're asked a lot, which should help you to get the best out of your stay with us.

If you have any further questions about accommodation before you arrive, please contact us.

before you apply before you apply

I am not guaranteed accommodation at UEA: should I still apply?

If you are not guaranteed accommodation but would like to be considered, you should still apply for a room. Whilst we will prioritise guaranteed students we will allocate any remaining rooms to non-guaranteed students. Please make sure that you apply before the accommodation deadline.

For full details about our guarantee please visit UEA Accommodation Guarantee.

Can I have a look inside the Residences before I apply?

If you wish to do so please come to one of the UEA Open Days which include tours of residences. If you are unable to attend an Open Day you may wish to take a look at our accommodation options page. Here we have costs, room details and 360° videos to help you decide your accommodation preferences..

You can also find accommodation and room photos on our Facebook Gallery

What kind of accommodation is provided for students with disabilities?

Our accommodation offers wheelchair accessible rooms with adapted wet-rooms in Britten House and Colman House. If you have any disability which affects your mobility, it is essential to talk to the Disability Coordinator in the Student Support Service. We will then be able to allocate the most appropriate room, and implement any necessary adaptations before your arrival. We also have rooms adapted for hearing impaired students, and students with severe allergies.

When you apply for accommodation please make sure you complete the disability information. If you have a medical condition which will affect your room allocation, please provide us with details in the disability/medical field.

This information will be shared in confidence with the Student Support Service  to make sure we allocate the most appropriate room for you.

What if I require a single sex flat?

If you would prefer not to live with members of the opposite sex for any reason, please let us know in advance. You can enter this information in the disability/medical/other field of the online form. We will try our best to help but we cannot guarantee same-sex accommodation.

Your room offer Your room offer

When will you tell me what room I've been allocated?

Your accommodation offer will be emailed to you shortly after your room has been allocated, and this happens after your student status has been confirmed. The majority of applicants will be allocated in the period between the end of August and the middle of September. For full details about key dates throughout the year, please refer to our timeline.

What if I haven't got my preferred type of accommodation?

We aim to allocate all applicants a room within their top three choices, but due to limited availability, this is not always possible. If you are unhappy with your allocation, let us know before you arrive and we may be able to help.

If you are unhappy with your room after you arrive, we may be able to offer a different room later in the semester. We will ask you to complete a room change form and will try to help if we can. We will begin accepting requests for room changes in October.

We charge an admin/cleaning fee of £30 for room changes. 

Alternatively, you may be able to swap rooms with another student. This is at the discretion of the Accommodation Office as we need to maintain diversity within flats. The admin charge for room swaps is £5 per person.

Students are also reminded that they should never swap rooms with another student without going through the Accommodation Office. As well as being a breach of the terms and conditions, you would also be liable for damage charges incurred in your original room.

Please note that students living in Portland House and INTO UEA are not permitted to change to an empty room but may request to swap with another student.

Can I move in to my room early?

Unfortunately, we have a very tight turn-around time between residents leaving accommodation and new students arriving in arrivals week. It is unlikely that you will be able to move in to your room earlier than specified on your offer letter. If you have exceptional circumstances, please contact us in advance and we will try to help.

Once I've signed my licence, does that mean I have to stay in Residences all year?

Signing your licence commits you to paying for your room for the full licence period.

We allow a 7-day 'cooling off' period from the start of your licence. During the first 7 days you may cancel your accommodation without any liability for rent for the remaining period of the contract. You will only be charged for the days up to when you hand back your keys if this is within 7 days.

Please refer to Paragraph 3 of the Terms and Conditions of the Licence to Occupy for full details.

The 7-day cooling off period applies to new UEA students in the first tenancy period with UEA Accommodation arriving in September or January only

Please note that you will be required to complete a 'Termination of Licence Form' and return it to the UEA Accommodation Office. However, after this period you are committed to living in your room and paying the licence fee for the whole of the licence period. Students on second and subsequent tenancy periods (or arriving at any other time of year) are committed to their contract from the time that they sign.

Is there a damage deposit to pay?

There is no damage deposit to pay. However, you will be charged for any damage to your room not attributable to fair wear and tear. In the case of communal areas, we contact residents of the flat/area to determine who was responsible for the damage. If no one admits responsibility, all residents of a particular flat or house will be charged for the cost of repair or replacement of damaged items.

Living in residences Living in residences

How do I pay for my room?

Your offer will set out the accommodation fees. Fees are payable in full, or in three instalments or by eight monthly direct debits, unless you are here for one semester. There is no damage deposit to pay and payment of accommodation fees is not required in advance. For more details about invoices and payments see the Living in Residences section.

Can I put up posters in my room and flat?

You are welcome to decorate your room, but please read the Terms and Conditions of the Licence relating to posters and fabrics, soft furnishings and candles. You must make sure that you don't damage the walls or any other fixtures and fittings as the cost of repair or replacement will be passed on to you. Please note that you must not stick anything to your door, or anywhere in the communal areas.

Will my room or flat be cleaned for me?

As the licensee, it is your responsibility to keep both your room and the communal areas of your flat in a clean and tidy condition. To help you, your housekeeper will ensure that the floors and surfaces in the kitchens and communal facilities are cleaned twice weekly during term time. The recycling bin in your room will be emptied every weekday during semester time. If you have a private shower or washbasin, this will also be cleaned weekly. If you require use of the vacuum cleaner, this can be requested from your cleaner.

Will I need to arrange insurance for the belongings in my room?

All students will be automatically covered by the UEA block insurance scheme which is provided by Endsleigh. Unless you wish to increase your personal cover you do not need to take any other action in relation to room insurance.

Please refer to Contents Insurance for more information about the insurance cover provided and to extend your cover.

Do I need a TV licence in my room?

If you want to watch live television on any device, you must purchase the relevant TV licence to avoid fines from TV Licensing. A TV licence is required to watch BBC iPlayer. A TV licence will not be required for other catch-up services such as ITV hub and All 4.

For up-to-date cost information and details of ways to pay please refer to the TV Licensing website.

How do I cook using the combination convection microwave ovens in the kitchen?

If you have a combination convection microwave oven, you can choose to cook using convection, microwave or a combination of the two for faster cooking. Please refer to the specific instructions below for more details:

For kitchens with a convection oven:

We have published a student cookbook using recipes from previous UEA students for cheap, nutritious meals that can be cooked using the facilities provided in residences.

Can I smoke in my room or flat?

No, all UEA residences are strictly non-smoking. It is important to note that this rule is enforced by fines imposed by the Student Disciplinary Officer and can result in eviction from residences.

Can I have guests to stay in my room?

If you have a friend or member of your family visiting you, they can stay in your room with you for a maximum of three nights per term. You must get the permission of your Warden or the Accommodation Office first, and only one person will be allowed to stay.  Guests must be over the age of 18.

What happens during vacations?

Your Accommodation licence is for the full academic year so you will not have to clear your room if you go away for Christmas or Easter. A limited number of rooms may be available during the summer vacation period. Students wishing to stay in residences over the summer vacation should apply to the UEA Accommodation Office after Easter.

What if my accommodation fees are due but my student loan hasn't arrived?

If you're waiting for your loan or your next month's pay to come through, speak to the Finance department, or you could be liable for late fees. The Finance Team in the Student Support Service may be able to help with a short term loan to tide you over until your loan arrives.

I have reported a fault in my room. How long will it take for the fault to be fixed?

When a fault is reported to the maintenance department, it is categorised based on the severity of the problem. This can range from faults that require an immediate response to more general faults. Most faults are typically repaired during office hours (Mon - Fri 0800 - 1600hrs). If the problem requires an immediate response outside this time (such as floods and gas leaks), we will call somebody out to fix it for you. For full details about our call out procedure please see the table below:

UEA Maintenance fault categories